Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What does this rear HVAC control do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

strider

Oct 20, 2010
NE Oklahoma
Hi everyone. I RTFM'd but they don't show a picture of the rear seat HVAC control options as viewed on the front screen. Can someone tell me what the highlighted control does in the picture below? When I move it I hear a change in airflow but I can't make out what it's doing or trying to tell me. Thanks!
PXL_20220625_022638579.jpg

Based on how my 2017 X functions and the fact that you appear to have a 3rd row, I would expect this to control whether or not the outboard vents (B & C pillar vents?) are active. The original X had a separate condesnser and fans for these vents, but only when equipped with a third row (and there were [not supposed to be] outboard [B pillar?] vents on the vehicles with only 2 rows). The HVAC design for the plaid generation may vary in terms of the second row, but isn't likely to vary in terms of the third row. Also, FWIW, while that appears to be an on/off switch, it may also present itself differently if you happen to find a way out of auto re: rear fan settings.

• Helpful
Reactions: strider
Thank you! @mxnym! I will put a kid back in the 3rd row and see if they can feel a change in airflow.
Hopefully I accidentally helped. I thought you meant highlighted by Tesla and didn't notice your box around that bar. I do agree fan speed could still make sense, but they sure chose funny icons. If the fan speed on the front tab is in the same location and works the same way, then such context would help a lot.