Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Exactly Does Sentry Mode Do On My Hw 2.0 Model X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

MXWing

Oct 13, 2016
USA
Other than:

Catfishing potential miscreants to think they are being recorded when nothing is actually happening?

I do see value in herd inoculation if everyone thinks every Tesla can record when it really doesn’t.

Would like to know what it REALLY does.

Vampire drain of rendering a red eye on your screen should be minimal. :D

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA
Other than:

Catfishing potential miscreants to think they are being recorded when nothing is actually happening?

I do see value in herd inoculation if everyone thinks every Tesla can record when it really doesn’t.

If I'm not mistaken, it does everything that regular sentry mode does except for saving the files due to not having the spare hardware needed to transcode and save the data. It still watches the cameras, tags events, and even created a dummy file, but the file is empty because AP2.0 doesn't have the second core that AP2.5+ uses to transcode and save.

Other than:

If I'm not mistaken, it does everything that regular sentry mode does except for saving the files due to not having the spare hardware needed to transcode and save the data. It still watches the cameras, tags events, and even created a dummy file, but the file is empty because AP2.0 doesn't have the second core that AP2.5+ uses to transcode and save.
That's not why. green confirmed on twitter a few months ago that the computer nodes are the same.

If I remember correctly, he said it is entirely possible for Tesla to give us dashcam. They chose not to. HW 2.0 uses RCCC camera filters, and you cannot easily get color from it (though it is possible). HW 2.5 uses RCCB.

Black and White is so much better than nothing. I suspect the real reason Tesla isn't offering us dashcam is that they want to downplay the fact that HW 2.5 is so much better than HW 2.0. The only thing Tesla wants to be replacing is the AP computer. (Which is easy). They don't want to be replacing everyone's radars and cameras and steering wheel motors and whatever.

That's not why. green confirmed on twitter a few months ago that the computer nodes are the same.

But they aren't, and he states so much, 2.5 does have an extra node. I know because I asked him myself: Sentry mode does not work

It's a little more nuanced than that, however. AP 2.5 does the transcode on a core that 2.0 doesn't have, he does believe that Tesla could enable it if they rewrite some of The code and I have no reason to believe Green isn't correct here. What I don't know, however, is if there's more than meets the eye with it. Why is Tesla processing the extra cams in the first place? Seems like it would hurt battery life if they processed them entirely needlessly. Would surprise me, but no matter how you string it the current version of AP2.5 is running sentry transcoding on hardware that 2.0 doesn't have. I don't doubt they could get it working, but it's not as easy as flipping a switch. It would require rewriting some software and potentially losing some data they collect

But they aren't, and he states so much, 2.5 does have an extra node. I know because I asked him myself: Sentry mode does not work

It's a little more nuanced than that, however. AP 2.5 does the transcode on a core that 2.0 doesn't have, he does believe that Tesla could enable it if they rewrite some of The code and I have no reason to believe Green isn't correct here. What I don't know, however, is if there's more than meets the eye with it. Why is Tesla processing the extra cams in the first place? Seems like it would hurt battery life if they processed them entirely needlessly. Would surprise me, but no matter how you string it the current version of AP2.5 is running sentry transcoding on hardware that 2.0 doesn't have. I don't doubt they could get it working, but it's not as easy as flipping a switch. It would require rewriting some software and potentially losing some data they collect
He's also said that the nodes are identical back in February. green on Twitter

I suppose he discovered he was wrong later. Thanks for the link. I think that's his current position.

Reactions: sreams
How to check whether you have AP 2.0 or 2.5? Mine was delivered Aug 2018. However, Sentry doesn't record to USB!
Check the build date of the car. It can usually be going on the label inside the drivers door. AP 2.5 came out in August 2017, so if you got yours new in August 2018, I would expect it to be AP 2.5.

Have you created the teslacam folder on the USB drive and properly formatted it?

Has anyone been able to actually get footage from Tesla that HW2.0 supposedly sends to them?

IT DOES NOT DO ANY VIDEO RECORDING, NILCH, NADA NONE !!!

Yeah the odds are zero of getting anything from Tesla here.

Can you imagine starting a ticket along the lines of:

“So on June 22nd between the hours of 6-8pm, I suspected my neighbors bratty punk kid threw an egg at my Model X. Can you please upload the footage from the passenger side camera to a cloud service so I can download?”

• Funny
Reactions: P85_DA