Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What functionality is not available when not connected to the network?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What functionality is not available when not connected to any network, such as when driving or parking in remote areas without mobile phone or wifi service?

Voice commands.
Software updates.
Maps live traffic (used when calculating route, or displayed with premium connectivity).
Anything premium connectivity.

What else?

We had a power outage here very early this morning, after a night of high wind and heavy rain after which the the temperatures dropped well below freezing. I tried to heat the cabin and condition the battery via the app, but Bluetooth and our internet were both out of commission and the App couldn't connect with the car. As a result, I could not warm the battery or the cabin. I found that all 4 door handles were frozen too. I suppose I could have dug out my Tesla card and unlocked the car, but with the door handles frozen I saw no point. So, based on this morning's experience, not much works when power is out, internet is down and wifi isn't working.

We had a power outage here very early this morning, after a night of high wind and heavy rain after which the the temperatures dropped well below freezing. I tried to heat the cabin and condition the battery via the app, but Bluetooth and our internet were both out of commission and the App couldn't connect with the car. As a result, I could not warm the battery or the cabin. I found that all 4 door handles were frozen too. I suppose I could have dug out my Tesla card and unlocked the car, but with the door handles frozen I saw no point. So, based on this morning's experience, not much works when power is out, internet is down and wifi isn't working.
Um. Normal operation of a smartphone is to use the Bluetooth to act as a key. So you don't need the keycard (although that will work, too) to get in. At least, if the doors handles aren't frozen.

I agree about the other stuff: You don't get heat-the-car-up-remotely when wi-fi is down and one doesn't have advanced connectivity through AT&T.

Hm. Although, thinking about this in real-time, one can rig the car to connect to a cell phone's wi-fi hot spot. Admittedly, one would have to do the pairing ahead of time before the emergency, but, once done, it stays done.

In that case, could one control the car's internal functions from said cell phone?

Hm. Although, thinking about this in real-time, one can rig the car to connect to a cell phone's wi-fi hot spot. Admittedly, one would have to do the pairing ahead of time before the emergency, but, once done, it stays done.

In that case, could one control the car's internal functions from said cell phone?

At that point, the same phone could control those things through the app via the Bluetooth connectivity.

If you're talking about getting the car it's *own* phone to connect to it's WiFi hotspot and then connecting using a different phone, that should work.

So, based on this morning's experience, not much works when power is out, internet is down and wifi isn't working.

My opinion is the opposite. Almost everything still works without connectivity. It's just some conveniences that are missing... remote climate, traffic data, voice commands.

Maps won’t work at all as in the map tiles wont load.

The vector tiles too? I've driven in remote areas where I lost connectivity but didn't lose the vector tiles. It's possible it had already downloaded and cached the tiles necessary for a given radius of travel before losing connectivity though.