Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if rear ended when stopped

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, hoping it never happens but was wondering : If the brake setting are set to Hold, you're at a red light with the foot off the brake and someone rear ends you. Would the brake remain engaged and limit the car movement so I don't hit the car in front of me?

Perhaps this thread will be of interest to you

I would expect the brakes to hold as they did in jjrandorin’s link. Getting hit once in the rear is bad enough; having a secondary collision with the car in front would be worse. Now, if you get hit hard enough you’ll hit the car in front anyway, even with full brakes, but that’s a collision that’s really gonna hurt.

I think the question is, will the auto-hold continue to hold, or will it release when an impact is made. May be a moot point as it'll hit the car in front anyways, if close enough.
Yeah, that's my question. If it holds, the impact with the car in front my not happen or be less than if they let go and hit the car in front with no restrain. My boss had a accident like that. She got rear ended and in that process, her foot got off the brake and her (ICE) car rammed the car in front of her. She was responsible for those damage.