Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What happens if you run into a lake or a river?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It fairs a bit better than an ICE.

It will float for a short period of time, and unlike an ICE where the engine will quit immediately once the exhaust is submerged, you will still have a working drivetrain and you'll get thrust in the water via wheel rotation.

It is actually the intake that does not enjoy being submerged - not the exhaust. In fact, most boats with ICE engines exhaust below the water line for sound reduction. The same works (up to a certain limit) with a car. This is why you often see more serious off roaders with a 'snorkel' that allows for a greater tolerance of water depth.

That said, while I suspect the Tesla would fair better than an ICE, I would still go with a window breaker like you linked to on Amazon :).

lets say I have an accident and my Tesla falls over a bridge and into a lake.
Will the doors still work?? Windows?
How do I escape?

Tesla owner asks for $1 million after Model X caught on fire in crash and Falcon Wing doors wouldn’t open

"Side note: There’s actually an emergency latch to open the Falcon Wing doors if the button doesn’t work.
It’s hidden behind the speaker cover, but as we learn while researching this story,
this information is surprisingly not in the owner’s manual but in the emergency response guide,
which is for first responders (update: it’s not in the online owner manual, but it’s in the version in the car):
tesla-model-x-falcon-door-extrication-rescue-latch-release-power-e1492975182744.png