Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a normal dissipation of PW reserve?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes. PW have thermal management.

the % loss might be what is described below:
“During winter months, a small amount of your Powerwall capacity is reserved to improve performance in cold weather. This may change your visible total capacity in the Tesla app. Rest assured, your total capacity has not changed – this small reserve is just set aside to improve performance.”

Preconditioning
powerwall-powerflow-homescreen.png

When temperatures are low, all batteries have a reduced ability to charge. To help Powerwall counteract this, Powerwall uses Preconditioning. When temperatures are below freezing, Preconditioning turns on and heats your Powerwall to improve operation and charging performance.

To heat itself, Powerwall draws a small amount of energy, which then allows high-power charging. During a cold night, your Powerwall automatically preheats before sunrise so that maximum solar energy can be captured during the day.

You cannot customize this mode because Powerwall can best detect its internal temperature and knows when to enable Preconditioning.

During Preconditioning, the Power Flow screen may show energy flowing to your Powerwall from solar or the grid. This is normal behavior, and the energy is only being used to heat, not to charge.

During winter months, a small amount of your Powerwall capacity is reserved to improve performance in cold weather. This may change your visible total capacity in the Tesla app. Rest assured, your total capacity has not changed – this small reserve is just set aside to improve performance.

Preconditioning, in combination with Tesla’s unique liquid thermal management system, allows your Powerwall to operate at lower temperatures than any other home battery
So the 11% drop as of this morning for me isn't real? Seems sketchy to me.

So the 11% drop as of this morning for me isn't real? Seems sketchy to me.
Probably the only way to know for sure for the future is to use the API. It will provide the unfiltered numbers for current charge percent (/api/system_status/soe) and energy imported/exported (/api/meters/aggregates). You can query the local APIs directly if you know the IP address, and there are people who have produced code for accessing the local and cloud APIs.

Yes. PW have thermal management.

the % loss might be what is described below:
“During winter months, a small amount of your Powerwall capacity is reserved to improve performance in cold weather. This may change your visible total capacity in the Tesla app. Rest assured, your total capacity has not changed – this small reserve is just set aside to improve performance.”

Preconditioning
powerwall-powerflow-homescreen.png

When temperatures are low, all batteries have a reduced ability to charge. To help Powerwall counteract this, Powerwall uses Preconditioning. When temperatures are below freezing, Preconditioning turns on and heats your Powerwall to improve operation and charging performance.

To heat itself, Powerwall draws a small amount of energy, which then allows high-power charging. During a cold night, your Powerwall automatically preheats before sunrise so that maximum solar energy can be captured during the day.

You cannot customize this mode because Powerwall can best detect its internal temperature and knows when to enable Preconditioning.

During Preconditioning, the Power Flow screen may show energy flowing to your Powerwall from solar or the grid. This is normal behavior, and the energy is only being used to heat, not to charge.

During winter months, a small amount of your Powerwall capacity is reserved to improve performance in cold weather. This may change your visible total capacity in the Tesla app. Rest assured, your total capacity has not changed – this small reserve is just set aside to improve performance.

Preconditioning, in combination with Tesla’s unique liquid thermal management system, allows your Powerwall to operate at lower temperatures than any other home battery
That's not what I am experiencing- without solar production due to snow but with grid power my walls are dropping a few % each day. One day was 3%, one was 6% and the rest are averaging 1%. I was at 100% on Friday morning and I am now at 89%.

That's not what I am experiencing- without solar production due to snow but with grid power my walls are dropping a few % each day. One day was 3%, one was 6% and the rest are averaging 1%. I was at 100% on Friday morning and I am now at 89%.
I think your PWs are keeping warm.

This is my experience. It’s been in the low 30s high 20s ambient overnight and about 40* in my garage where the PW is. I consistently only lose 1% every night. In the morning the grid and solar charge the powerwall adding 250w and I regain the % I lost overnight.

I also have a model Y plugged in sitting in the same garage. It warms it’s battery pack every 1.5hrs overnight drawing 2-4kWh.

i would think without grid power or solar I would lose a lot of energy just keeping the PW batteries warm.

Thermal management on Model Y:
47C853C6-867C-4154-B6FC-7491ECAD7D15.jpeg

I think your PWs are keeping warm.

This is my experience. It’s been in the low 30s high 20s ambient overnight and about 40* in my garage where the PW is. I consistently only lose 1% every night. In the morning the grid and solar charge the powerwall adding 250w and I regain the % I lost overnight.

I also have a model Y plugged in sitting in the same garage. It warms it’s battery pack every 1.5hrs overnight drawing 2-4kWh.

i would think without grid power or solar I would lose a lot of energy just keeping the PW batteries warm.

Thermal management on Model Y:View attachment 620286
It could be but I was under the impression that the walls drew from the grid for thermal management since that isn't considered charging. I do on occasion see grid power go to the walls.

It could be but I was under the impression that the walls drew from the grid for thermal management since that isn't considered charging. I do on occasion see grid power go to the walls.
Correct, mine prep in the morning by drawing from the grid to warm but then my solar has to replenish the 1% loss overnight. if you don’t have solar to replenish your overnight losses then those will continue to add up.

I don’t know what would cause a 6% loss in a single night.