Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is a Pre-Prodution car and why my VIN is older?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am bit confused so I am hoping for some help here. 4 days ago my Tesla advisor sent me a link to a Model 3 Performance stealth. The car had a VIN serial in the 602xxx range and for location it was saying "Pre-Production". I posted the $100 and ordered it. My assumption was that the car is not built yet but it has a VIN allocation. Is this what a "Pre-Production" car is? If not, can someone explain?

Looking at the Model 3 Order Tracking spreadsheet I see a lot of cars with later VIN serial (627xxx + ) already delivered. If my assumption, that Pre-Production is a car that is not built yet, is correct, how is it possible cars with VINs later than mine (more than a month later based on 5K/week cars production) already delivered? Unless they don't build the cars based on the VIN serial (?).

Any thoughts on this? Any reason to be concerned?

Looking at the Model 3 Order Tracking spreadsheet I see a lot of cars with later VIN serial (627xxx + ) already delivered. If my assumption, that Pre-Production is a car that is not built yet, is correct, how is it possible cars with VINs later than mine (more than a month later based on 5K/week cars production) already delivered? Unless they don't build the cars based on the VIN serial (?).

Correct, they do not build cars in sequential VIN order.

For example, my Model 3 Performance (VIN 602914) has a scheduled ETA in New Jersey of 12/18/2019. I'm guessing its assembly was probably just completed within the last couple of days...maybe is still in final assembly? So, like they said, I wouldn't be concerned about that part of the VIN. Now if the model year code indicated a 2019 model, that'd be a different story. :)