TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

What is going on at Tesla Motors?

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by WarpedOne, Dec 2, 2007.

1. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

#1 WarpedOne, Dec 2, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
    A few quotes from autobloggreen:

Yankuetino:
    BillO:
    A lot of people that really created the roadster and company are gone. We hear strange things that are not compatible with original vision (hybrids, buyout, partnerships).

Is this still the company we used to love? I'm afraid not. If I was in the line for the car, I'd already stepped out.

2. tonybelding

tonybelding Active Member

It makes me nervous. However. . . I'm not ready to bail yet. I really want that Roadster. And you know, none of these problems concern the Roadster as such, it's a question of where they go after that.

The other thing is, my "lock-in" date for the Roadster isn't until June 6. So, I reckon I can afford to wait a while and see how things shake out.

3. WarpedOne

WarpedOne Supreme Premier

Let me restate that:

If I'd payed for one of the first year cars I'd stayed and waited for it. But if I was in the line for something produced in 2009 or later...

I guess those few thousend $ could be invested better than waiting for something that might not happen after all. For all we know, the new management can suddenly decide there ain't no market for pure EV vehicles anymore...

4. DDB

DDB Member

Easy WW,

I'm sure the buyers aren't ready to jump ship, and I sincerely hope they aren't for the sake of the EV market. We need this car. Business is business and in the free market, anything can happen. But don't think for a second that the Tesla brand can't become a valuable brand--the venture capitalists are there, and idealism is just that (which you can't feed your family with if you get what I'm saying). The Roadster I suspect will hit pavement sometime in the next quarter or two. I hope the original buyers don't feel the same way as you, although the weekend announcement of Martin's "unemployment" was no doubt tacticial.

5. Yanquetino

Yanquetino Member

Talk about shooting themselves in the foot...!

WarpedOne: Hey, thanks for quoting my list from AutoBlog Green above! You've saved me some copying-and-pasting!

We all, obviously, want a Tesla Roadster. That's why we browse these forums. But when it comes right down to it, people should matter as much --nay, more-- than the material object. At this point, I myself don't think I'd be happy accepting the keys without Martin at the helm. It just wouldn't be the same. What started out as a unique, visionary, humanistic venture has been commandeered by the usual corporate managers and turned into a mere... business. Ugh. No, thanks!

What those saps don't realize is that the very kind of customers who would want an EV in the first place are completely disgusted with that kind of cutthroat corporate mentality. Duh!

6. mt2

mt2 Member

I'm not so doom and gloom. And I'm still sticking around for the WhiteStar.

The reason is that I know that Elon Musk is very idealistic and working toward his ideal. He wants to populate other planets and fix the damage we've caused on this one. Ze'ev Drori may not be as idealistic, but his experience and goals appear compatible with the original Tesla vision of great cars with green technology.

I don't agree with Tesla's recent changes. But I can't disagree with the millions and millions that Elon Musk, Micheal Marks, and Ze'ev Drori have amassed by building garage and bankrupt companies into world class organizations.

The vision will change. The direction will change. They may even sell to an existing auto company. (BMW?) But Tesla will survive and, I believe, will continue to produce very desirable - game changing - cars.

7. BlackbirdHighway

I know I'm still wanting my Roadster. I barely knew who Martin was when I originally bought in. I have great admiration for Martin now that I've gotten to know more about him. But this change at Tesla doesn't affect my original desire for the car.

It does give me serious doubts about the future direction of the company, and plans for the Whitestar and beyond.

8. MaryKathleenFlynn