Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is MCU? I have a 2017 Model S with FSD. Tesla recently installed the new chip per the recall. Is the new chip the MSU?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When my 2017 Model S was recalled for installation of the new chip, I was not told anything about an MSU. In reading the posts from this forum, I am seeing a great deal of discussion about MSU and its cost to have it installed. Did I get the MSU when Tesla installed the new chip? Since it was a recall, there was no charge.

When my 2017 Model S was recalled for installation of the new chip, I was not told anything about an MSU. In reading the posts from this forum, I am seeing a great deal of discussion about MSU and its cost to have it installed. Did I get the MSU when Tesla installed the new chip? Since it was a recall, there was no charge.
The acronym is MCU (Media Control Unit).

What Tesla did in your case is simply to replace the flash memory from 8 GB to a 64 GB version. Definitely not to MCU 2 from your current MCU 1 as there is a not very small cost to get that upgrade ($1500 I think).

Upvote 0
MCU1 doesn't get replaced during the recall. It's $1500-2500 to upgrade to MCU2, depending on if you have FSD purchased and whether or not you want FM/XM radio.

• Informative
Reactions: TessP100D and Krash
Upvote 0