Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is MCU2 upgrade worth it if I have LTE with 64GB emmc

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another reason to go ahead and upgrade to MCU2 is they may continue increasing the price. I upgraded even though my MCU1 was working fine. The higher resolution screens, snappier navigation, plus a functioning browser and voice controls made the $1700ish price tag more than worth it. I used a credit card promotion to pay for a good portion of the upgrade. One of those spend $2k in the first 3 months to get $750 cash back. If you have a high credit score and can take the couple point hit it's a good way to offset some of the cost.

• Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I do not recall noticing any significant difference in AP1 behavior. Biggest benefits I notices were improved performance of navigation system in terms of the amount of time it would take to figure out routings and no longer being concerned about the MCU locking up, becoming unresponsive in the middle of a drive, and needing to do a reboot while on the road to get functionality back.

Much of the limitation of AP1 in detecting vehicle passing you quickly is detection is via the ultrasonic sensors when people are overtaking you from the rear. Those sensors have very limited range. Your overtaking/passing a car at high speed goes to forward looking vision system only have a limited range of visibility (much less than what you see with your eyes).
Thanks for from AP1 perspective you are saying there is no difference after upgrading to McU 2. Right ?

So we have a 2014S and have been considering MCU2 for some time. We don’t watch Netflix, play games or use the internet in the car and the MCU1 is fine 99% of the time, but does have the occasional funny moment, normally cured by a reboot. After much deliberation I recently scheduled the upgrade to MCU2 mainly to “future proof” the car.
Imagine my surprise when Tesla messaged me to say they won’t have parts available for four months…. (This is in the UK)
Hi Dunc, MS P90DL 🇬🇧 UK owner here😃👋. Wow I didn't know the wait times would be that bad!! Really didn't expect that 😲 I was fortunate enough the previous owner upgraded to MCU2 (with radio module) and it's incredible! I thought I wouldn't use all the extra features but from time to time when waiting for my teen to finish gymnastics I find myself watching a YouTube video or playing Mahjong whilst I wait 🤣 I've already completed beach buggy racing with my nephews. We are all used to the speed of our phones and tablets so to get a similar speed on the car makes it very worthwhile and the screen quality is very good. I recommend to get a screen protector straight away to protect it and collect less finger print marks. You're going to love the upgrade! I'm still shocked that my car is 2015 because when I sit in most other cars that are newer besides the trim finish I feel like I'm going back in time 🤣

Reactions: Big Dunc
Another reason to go ahead and upgrade to MCU2 is they may continue increasing the price. I upgraded even though my MCU1 was working fine. The higher resolution screens, snappier navigation, plus a functioning browser and voice controls made the $1700ish price tag more than worth it. I used a credit card promotion to pay for a good portion of the upgrade. One of those spend $2k in the first 3 months to get $750 cash back. If you have a high credit score and can take the couple point hit it's a good way to offset some of the cost.
Plus, at some point it may no longer be offered. Whether to encourage full vehicle upgrade or due to service centers getting busier with more and more Teslas on the road.

I own vehicles with both early MCU types. The biggest thing I miss on MCU1 are the changes to navigation on MCU2 that added multi-stop and arrival SOC percentage estimates on the main display. I didn't realize how often I used them until they weren't there. You can still see the arrival estimate for your single destination on MCU1, but only if you use route overview. Even if MCU1 is somehow too weak to juggle the added stops around, it'd still be nice to have the arrival percentage up on the other views, as it is in MCU2.

Well I would not recommend if there is no other reason apart from mentioned issues in previous post. I have only done the eMMC recall and it seems fine since (I haven’t seen the major issues with it at all). I do not have habit to use the MCU for youtube or such. Additionally if you do the MCU change then you will also loose “Range mode” functions as this does not exist on MCU2. I’m not 100% sure, hope someone can confirm this. This only applies to dual motor model. Additionally this new MCU is having different setup and can bring up higher vampire drain on the battery.
WRONG.

FAKE NEWS.

Range Mode works perfectly on my 015 MS P85DL with MCU 2.0 upgrade.

REALLY?! Can I ask what’s the point of your post? Where have you been back in May? Post #5 already corrected my assumption (I did wrote that I’m not 100% sure) and that linked post did corrected this right when I asked… If you want to be that precise then how can your statement be not FAKE? How do you confirm that your Model S is #015…

Range Mode works perfectly on my 015 MS P85DL with MCU 2.0 upgrade.

REALLY?! Can I ask what’s the point of your post? Where have you been back in May? Post #5 already corrected my assumption (I did wrote that I’m not 100% sure) and that linked post did corrected this right when I asked… If you want to be that precise then how can your statement be not FAKE? How do you confirm that your Model S is #015…
Sorry my comment came off as offensive. I meant it in humor 😂 but clearly you didn't take it that way.

Confirmation that my Model S is a 2015 P85D... although more precisely a P85DL+ with MCU 2.0.

LOVE range mode. Use it when our projected destination SoC <= 20%. Definitely adds some range.

Attachments

• IMG_4896.jpeg
    IMG_4896.jpeg
    481.5 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    187.2 KB · Views: 40
With my 2015 S85D, and my wife just getting her MY LR last week, I'm noticing how noisy my car is in the cabin, and how many other features I'm missing. My My main screen behind the wheel is showing peeling around the edges on the right, but it isn't bothersome. If that went south, I'd upgrade.
(why is "going south" a phrase meaning something breaking? - silly phrases we come to use and not think twice about them most of the time)
But now I've got the new car itch. I think a cyber truck or an R2S would do the trick, but I can't buy either at the moment. Sigh.
So I hold off on the MCU upgrade waiting for it to fail or for one of those other vehicles to become available.