Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is the best way to change my calipers to red?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have heard five different answers for this.? I wrote my car in somewhere just to get it painted and the guy told me to powder coat the calipers red for my long range model 3 with 19 inch OEM wheels it would cost $1200.00. Sounded off
Also I saw people online saying that was way higher than it should be.
(Just to get this out-of-the-way the place I brought it to has a great reputation in the area and is known to always do a stellar job. I have been recommended to them by several people.)
Depending on who the source is, some people will say it’s easiest just to paint it, others will say you have to powder coat, others will say to replace it completely and then others will say to get a cover on it.

It seems like every single one whichever they recommend, clearly they have a vested interest for why they’re recommending it. Is there an answer for this as far as what would be most cost efficient but still won’t mess with the safety or performance of the car?

By the way the title of this thread is supposed to say “red” at the end not ”re” sorry its been a long week my brains fully in noodle node right now.

And yeah that seems to be the consensus from what I’ve read, $1200 for powder coating though? He finally said “okay since you’re already getting something else done w/ us I’ll do it for $1100.“ 🤔 I know it’s a much more complicated process than one would initially think but from reading online that seems like a lot higher than normal

Who cares about the color of the calipers? Old notion that red = fast?! I’d rather not draw attention to them. They looks plenty good in silver.

As for $1200. Power coating will require removal of calipers. Which will require bleeding of the brakes during re-install. Not sure if Tesla is more complicated in this regard. Seems in the ballpark.

If you want performance take that $1200 and buy better tires or get the acceleration boost.

The car already has the $2000 acceleration boost and has brand-new OEM wheels and tires on it I just wanted to add a little pop to the look of it Which is personal preference sorry if it’s not your taste.

So many people have model 3s in my area at this point they look like hundreds of identical little drones from Star Wars or something. So yeah to me getting a different color and adding a few small touches makes a worlds difference, but maybe I’ll look into the prostitute idea as well, ya never know 🤷🏼‍♂️

Dragon's blood is very heat-resistant, but it's really hard to find these days.

Seriously, I'd just use something like this: https://www.autozone.com/paint-and-...red-brake-caliper-spray-paint-11oz/419005_0_0

It's inexpensive and you don't have to be without brakes while the shop is powder-coating your calipers. If you have good masking skills you might even be able to get it done with the calipers still on the car.

I used the VHT High temp caliper paint. It's a brush on. Very simple:
Brake cleaner to get everything nice and clean.
Mask any tight areas
Use a small brush and take your time.
I used two coats a with about a twenty minute drying time in between.

I used this G2 caliper paint on my corvette. I was able to paint new calipers since I was already replacing them, but if you are able to clean the current ones very well I imagine it will be just as good. After a couple years I sold the car and the paint still looked as good as new.

If I have to jack up the car to remove each wheel one at a time i'm worried the G2 Paint my dry up any issues when you did your application?

Just get nice covers.. easy to put on and take care. And all that FUD about heat etc is a crock unless you are tracking the car and then you would not have bought a base car anyway.. My covers have been on for several months. I do have the complete package to swap the P brakes over.. front and rear plus shields and cabling.. just no time right now :). Besides, even Tesla is using covers at least on the rears.. shame on them

Just get nice covers.. easy to put on and take care. And all that FUD about heat etc is a crock unless you are tracking the car and then you would not have bought a base car anyway.. My covers have been on for several months. I do have the complete package to swap the P brakes over.. front and rear plus shields and cabling.. just no time right now :). Besides, even Tesla is using covers at least on the rears.. shame on them
I've seen the G2 High Temperature Brake Caliper Paint System on a friends MYLR and its really nice and should last for the life of the car. Other than a little prep work its also a cheaper option. But the covers look nice.

I have heard five different answers for this.? I wrote my car in somewhere just to get it painted and the guy told me to powder coat the calipers red for my long range model 3 with 19 inch OEM wheels it would cost $1200.00. Sounded off
Also I saw people online saying that was way higher than it should be.
(Just to get this out-of-the-way the place I brought it to has a great reputation in the area and is known to always do a stellar job. I have been recommended to them by several people.)
Depending on who the source is, some people will say it’s easiest just to paint it, others will say you have to powder coat, others will say to replace it completely and then others will say to get a cover on it.

It seems like every single one whichever they recommend, clearly they have a vested interest for why they’re recommending it. Is there an answer for this as far as what would be most cost efficient but still won’t mess with the safety or performance of the car?
Looks like Performance calipers.

IMG_2415.jpg