Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this, is it Glue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was going over my car to report any scratches or damage post delivery and I can’t believe I didn’t catch this yesterday. Anyone else see this on their car? I think it’s excess adhesive from the front window.. would tesla be able to remove or would it require a repaint ?

Attachments

• B5F5FFD6-BEDE-4783-8128-2B91C8E0F580.jpeg
    B5F5FFD6-BEDE-4783-8128-2B91C8E0F580.jpeg
    222 KB · Views: 192
  • C87301D2-667A-4246-8E7D-66C9F548C1F7.jpeg
    C87301D2-667A-4246-8E7D-66C9F548C1F7.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 121
  • BF6CDB87-D9DD-4476-8B09-EDB9D271964A.jpeg
    BF6CDB87-D9DD-4476-8B09-EDB9D271964A.jpeg
    236.9 KB · Views: 134
Wouldn’t rubbing alcohol ruin the clear coat ?

Im not an expert on car detailing (although there are some who take that pretty seriously here, in this subforum). With that being said, I am fairly certain that rubbing alcohol would take strip any wax, but not the clear coat. So, if your car was waxed, that area might look and act different because it had no wax on it, but it wouldnt actually be "damaged" by trying that.

Im not an expert on car detailing (although there are some who take that pretty seriously here, in this subforum). With that being said, I am fairly certain that rubbing alcohol would take strip any wax, but not the clear coat. So, if your car was waxed, that area might look and act different because it had no wax on it, but it wouldnt actually be "damaged" by trying that.

This is absolutely correct. Alcohol-based "panel prep" solutions are commonly sprayed on painted surfaces prior to applying waxes, sealants, and ceramic coatings to remove residues from polish and to make sure the paint is super clean. I think it is safe to use a rubbing alcohol solution to remove this "glue" substance. Since it will likely strip any waxes or sealants, you just need to reapply your wax or sealant to the affected area after the glue substance is removed.

If alcohol doesn't work, I would suggest trying a bug and tar remover such as this one from Turtle Wax:

Hope that helps!
Joe

This is absolutely correct. Alcohol-based "panel prep" solutions are commonly sprayed on painted surfaces prior to applying waxes, sealants, and ceramic coatings to remove residues from polish and to make sure the paint is super clean. I think it is safe to use a rubbing alcohol solution to remove this "glue" substance. Since it will likely strip any waxes or sealants, you just need to reapply your wax or sealant to the affected area after the glue substance is removed.

If alcohol doesn't work, I would suggest trying a bug and tar remover such as this one from Turtle Wax:

Hope that helps!
Joe

You are one of the people I was thinking of, when I made the statement above :). Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Reactions: joebruin77

Hope that helps!
Joe
i might need to bring it into tesla.. it looks like its the glue used for the windshield they over applied and forgot to remove.. its on the surface so hopefully they are able to remove it.

i might need to bring it into tesla.. it looks like its the glue used for the windshield they over applied and forgot to remove.. its on the surface so hopefully they are able to remove it.

If you are more comfortable bringing it into your local Tesla SC, that would be fine. Here is one other idea you could try. I remember a detailer's trick to get rid of tree sap is to take alcohol-based hand sanitizer and place a liberal amount all over the sap, or in this case, glue. The key is to let it dwell for 2-3 minutes before rubbing it off with a microfiber towel. Or, instead of removing it with a towel, you could take a razor blade, place it at an angle so that you do not scratch the paint, and gently scrape the glue off with the razor blade.

If the hand sanitizer or bug and tar remover along with a razor blade doesn't work, then taking it to the Tesla SC might be needed.

So I was going over my car to report any scratches or damage post delivery and I can’t believe I didn’t catch this yesterday. Anyone else see this on their car? I think it’s excess adhesive from the front window.. would tesla be able to remove or would it require a repaint ?
I had something similar on the base of the rear door. It looked like adhesive but mine was not the same color. I was able to rub most of it off with mild soap.