Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is this spinning Icon?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any idea what the spinning gray and black icon is at bottom left of screen? Could not find it in manual. Seems to appear randomly and today was there for entire 40 minute drive. I texted this photo to service center and their response was that they cannot get photos in their text system!
1678312286306.jpeg

Last edited:
That's a pretty standard spinner to indicate to the user that some process is running / data is loading. We see that in Windows on a PC in some cases. I've never seen it in the car though, normally the data comes up quick enough that there is no need to show that. There must have been a problem loading the music streaming? Reboot and see if it helps.

I see that all the time since my last software update. It's the audio trying to start in my case. I have to switch to a different audio source (USB to radio, for example) to get any audio to work. Happens every time I "start" the car. Annoying, and I'm looking forward to the next update to hopefully fix it.

Reactions: jpfive
I'm pretty sure that spinning icon has only been there since Apple Music was added. Sometimes when getting back in the car I also get the full screen Apple Music asking me to log in to my account. I don't have one. I'd like to be able to remove Apple Music altogether.

This icon appeared, always live and spinning several updates ago and has never left since then. My Starlink router is perhaps 20 feet from where the Y is parked. I am subscribed to "connectivity" and pay the $10 / month or whatever it is. I can swipe it to the left and what's playing on the USB shows, swipe again and the tire pressures appear and with all of these, the spinner is replaced with them. But swipe back to the right and there it is again.

I certainly agree it looks like the Windows Busy icon and that leads me to believe that it is indicating that the processor is out working on something (unsuccessfully). Since on the same update, there were changes in the visual display, including:
Oncoming vehicles that used to appear 3/4 to 1 mile away, now do not appear until around 3 car lengths away from me.
Trash cans used to show up maybe 500 ft away, now are 5 or 10 ft away before visualization and mail boxes don't show up at all any more.
Flashing caution lights almost never show up at all. (I kind of assumed that someone decided if seeing caution lights makes the car nervous and it phantom brakes, a way to fix phantom braking was just remove them from the visualization, which seemed like a clever solution, but not really a good idea.)

So perhaps the reduced vision is really the result of the cpu wasting a lot of resources out trying to do something that never finishes???

Just got 11.4.4, (2023.7.20), so I'll go try that out and see if it fixed any of the crap the last couple of updates created. I'm betting if the spinning icon disappears, the visualization will go back to previous levels?

I’ve been getting this spinning icon in most drives as of the last week or so.

I’m going to try to connect to my phone’s hot spot to see if it’s the car cellular or not.

New-ish to Tesla as I received my car in late April but it seems software glitches are prevalent!

I’ve been getting this spinning icon in most drives as of the last week or so.

I’m going to try to connect to my phone’s hot spot to see if it’s the car cellular or not.

New-ish to Tesla as I received my car in late April but it seems software glitches are prevalent!
My Y is within 20 feet of my Starlink router and 1.9 miles from a 5G cell tower and shows a good strong signal from both of those. But the spinning goes on endlessly. The Tesla app on my Android phone after about 2 hours will not connect to the car and shows 403 Session Expired. But restarting the phone fixes it and everything works again - but has no effect on the spinning icon. I'm thinking the software is waiting for something to respond like some sensor on the brakes, temperature, . . . . . . .? Sort of makes me wish there was a Tesla service function that I could contact and ask about it. I guess it's just part of the learning process and I need to dig into it enough to figure it out so I can fix it.

I respond to this back in March... Anyway, I have found that the easiest and quickest way to fix this is to just select another audio source. This usually resolves it almost instantly, and then you can switch back to what you wanted to listen to.

I've just started getting this spinning circle as well this week. It only appears on Tesla Streaming when trying to change to another station. It just spins with no connection. Never has this happen before (started this week). I've driven all over (in case signal issues), but no change. Connected to wifi (no change). Not sure what's going on. And changing source (to Radio, etc.) and back does nothing. Still spinning...
Yes, two-button reset will fix it (but happens again upon next drive). Don't want to have to soft reset each drive!