Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Fault appeared with additional icons

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ionsphere

2023 MY LR AWD Northeast region of US
Oct 9, 2023
USA
Okay so I've only had my MY about 2 months but I've been consistently having some issues with the phone disconnecting randomly which leads me to need my key card to operate the car. I've been in contact with service about this and have done some steps and it has temporarily gotten better. However it appears starts happening again, and one thing that seems to be a result of the phone not connecting consistently is that I am not getting the windows open notification. So a couple nights ago the passenger window was left open and it rained, not terribly hard but hard enough to get the floor mat wet. I immediately dried everything out and contacted service once again about the issue with the phone not communicating properly with the MY. Although in the past they have called me to resolve the issue the person this time was texting and there were long waits in between each text from her. In the midst of a lot of redoing of steps including removing key cards from the car screen, the front passenger safety restraint system fault appeared which I notified her about. She then switched from finishing any troubleshooting steps which I was in the middle of, to setting up an in-person appointment. Said driving was still safe. So while driving to Thanksgiving yesterday these additional icons appeared on the screen. I assume the one means the airbags, haven't been able to find the green one in my owner's manual yet. Does anyone have any insight on anything from why my phone is not getting the "windows left open" notification, to this consistently inconsistent problem with my phone key not working and needing the key card, or the two icons that now have appeared in addition to the fault.
I have completely dried out the mats that were wet and everything in the car is dry, but it's also very humid here lately so I am running the heater and the seat heater a bit more this morning to see if I can clear the fault since it's been suggested in previous posts that the fault that has appeared is due to moisture around the seat. Still trying to figure out what those icons are.

Attachments

• PXL_20231123_175400509.jpg
    PXL_20231123_175400509.jpg
    559.2 KB · Views: 35
Moisture on the seat has caused restraint system faults if we believe the multiple reports around here. I believe the sensor that detects if a passenger is sitting on the seat is defective in that case. I've seen reports of all going back to normal when the seat dries up so I would try that first. Since this is caused by an operator error (leaving the windows open) I don't know if they would warranty it.

Upvote 0
Okay fault has cleared with running the heater and the seat heater a bit. Also the airbag icon is gone, however the green icon was still there this morning. Does anyone know what it means?

Attachments

• PXL_20231124_140502222.jpg
    PXL_20231124_140502222.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 44
Upvote 0
Moisture on the seat has caused restraint system faults if we believe the multiple reports around here. I believe the sensor that detects if a passenger is sitting on the seat is defective in that case. I've seen reports of all going back to normal when the seat dries up so I would try that first. Since this is caused by an operator error (leaving the windows open) I don't know if they would warranty it.
Yes thanks. Unfortunately the reason the one window was left open was because I have had an ongoing problem with my phone randomly disconnecting from the car. In fact we were in the middle of trying once again to go through all the steps to disconnect the phone and the app and everything from the car and then reconnect everything and hope it worked. I have even tried switching my phone to a different phone. But nothing has worked long-term. Everything seems to help for a short while. So although the fault has cleared because I did thoroughly dry everything out and then ran the heater and the seat heater and now everything is cleared fault-wise I still have the same issue that I've had since I got the car two months ago which is getting particularly frustrating since that is the reason the car did not let me know that the one window was left open. So it's a little hard to say that it was an operator error, since this is an issue I've been working on with service for the past 2 months that is still not resolved, and it used to let me know with notifications that the windows were left open, so this is new that it does not let me know that the windows are left open anymore. That seems to be a fault in the car functioning properly. In any case I'm still trying to follow directions to fix it and it is getting a bit frustrating at this point, obviously.

Upvote 0
That means the brakes will be used when regen is limited, for example when your battery is full or too cold to accept all the power.
Okay thanks so much for that description. It has turned cold here lately. I looked through the owner's manual but could not find a place where the icons are deciphered. I'm a bit frustrated with the consistently inconsistent issues with my phone not being accepted, and now this new issue of the app not sending me notifications if the window is left open. When this was originally an issue, right after I got the car, I switched to a whole different make of phone, because it seemed that that was the issue. However I'm still having the same issues with the phone randomly not connecting and now randomly not getting notifications about the window being left open, even though I have that instruction on the car screen to let me know if the windows or doors are left open. I used to get notifications if the window was left open which made me get kind of lazy about checking I suppose. But really, if the car lets you know most of the time that the window is open and then suddenly stops how am I supposed to know that? Also it locks me out and I have to use my key card. Just frustrated at this point.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Owning a Tesla requires changes in routines, not just avoiding gas stations. It’s a fully in control computer system. You benefit from learning its idiosyncrasies.

To benefit from the forum, you should describe your infrastructure that is in use. Eg what specific phone are you using? what firmware is your Model Y using?

The suggestions for fixes are more useful when the responder has the same setup you do.

Also describing where you car has issues, outside parked overnight, in a garage, while driving? These different domains effect how your car behaves.

Good luck, and keep the windows closed. The HVAC works better when on Auto.

Reactions: ionsphere
Upvote 0
Owning a Tesla requires changes in routines, not just avoiding gas stations. It’s a fully in control computer system. You benefit from learning its idiosyncrasies.

To benefit from the forum, you should describe your infrastructure that is in use. Eg what specific phone are you using? what firmware is your Model Y using?

The suggestions for fixes are more useful when the responder has the same setup you do.

Also describing where you car has issues, outside parked overnight, in a garage, while driving? These different domains effect how your car behaves.

Good luck, and keep the windows closed. The HVAC works better when on Auto.
Okay thanks for the guidance I appreciate it. I'm still learning but I'm catching up.
The model phone I originally used was a Motorola g stylus 5G. When I started having phone issues I switched to a Pixel 5A, which is what I'm presently using.
My current firmware is 23.27.7
The issue with needing my key card instead of my phone card happens randomly both when I'm parked in a parking lot out and about, and also when I'm parked at home. The tech support did give me some help by letting me know if I turn the Bluetooth off and on, it would clear the issue with my phone not working as a key. However that doesn't work 100% of the time, and more recently the car stopped letting me know when the windows were open. It used to let me know that the windows were open after I walked away from the car. I tried running a test to make sure this was the case, and it still is currently not notifying me if I leave a window open intentionally for 20 minutes. I am being very careful about shutting the windows now. I got a little bit laissez-faire because the app was so good about letting me know via my phone if the window or doors were open.
I have checked in controls/locks that the "car left open notifications" are on, doors and windows highlighted, and the exclude home is not checked(so it should include my home in notifying me). Also "close windows on lock" is in the on position as well. But I do not lock at home. I sometimes park outside and sometimes inside.
Lastly I do have the climate set on Auto, but occasionally it seems to go off Auto and I'm not sure why it does that. I do prefer the blower on my feet instead of how it automatically sets it on the center blower, but now I've started checking that it remains on auto in case that is somehow related to it not letting me know when the windows and doors are open.
Thanks again for your guidance on how to post in a way that's beneficial. Any help is appreciated.

Upvote 0
There seems to be a Bluetooth issue with Google Pixel devices.

The threads are under Search results for query: Bluetooth issue pixel Google
Thanks, and thanks for the help with the proper search phrase to put in. I did try to search for these issues beforehand and got some information but hadn't heard of anybody with the windows open notification not working any longer I'm beginning to put the pieces of the puzzle together and with the help of some friends I'm wondering now whether the car needs to be locked and order to send you "windows and doors open" notifications. Going to do a test run later today.

Upvote 0
Thanks, and thanks for the help with the proper search phrase to put in. I did try to search for these issues beforehand and got some information but hadn't heard of anybody with the windows open notification not working any longer I'm beginning to put the pieces of the puzzle together and with the help of some friends I'm wondering now whether the car needs to be locked and order to send you "windows and doors open" notifications. Going to do a test run later today.
Update: try to opening the windows and then making sure I was connected in the house to the Tesla app waited 20 minutes, but no notification was sent. This feature used to work just fine on this phone so I don't really understand what has changed. Tech support has not been any help either unfortunately. I'll keep trying to figure it out.

Upvote 0
Probably you need to start from ground zero with phone and car connectivity operations.
Remove all phone connections on the car.
Remove/unpair every bluetooth connections on the phone.
Reboot the car (press both scroll buttons on the wheel for about 30 seconds). Reboot the phone.
Readd the phone to the car for both your profile and easy access profile.
Test both situations: when car is in the garage and when car is in a public place.

Contact Tesla service again if things still don't work. It's possible the bluetooth hardware on the car has defect.
Or drive the car to a Tesla delivery center to talk Tesla people helping new customers/new cars. I did this before for a different issue. Be aware that some guys are knowledgeable and some are not.

Upvote 0
Probably you need to start from ground zero with phone and car connectivity operations.
Remove all phone connections on the car.
Remove/unpair every bluetooth connections on the phone.
Reboot the car (press both scroll buttons on the wheel for about 30 seconds). Reboot the phone.
Readd the phone to the car for both your profile and easy access profile.
Test both situations: when car is in the garage and when car is in a public place.

Contact Tesla service again if things still don't work. It's possible the bluetooth hardware on the car has defect.
Or drive the car to a Tesla delivery center to talk Tesla people helping new customers/new cars. I did this before for a different issue. Be aware that some guys are knowledgeable and some are not.
Yeah I've been through the problem troubleshooting with the online tech support people a couple times and I was in the middle of doing it one more time when the other fault showed up because of the wet seat issue. But that's all dried out now in the fault has cleared. However there's still insisting I go down for a schedule appointment to the Tesla service center. I'm just wondering if it turns out to be basically a technical issue whether I'm going to get charged for it if it's something like the earlier person pointed out, that pixel phone sometimes have an issue connecting? I mean maybe it's my phone but I already switched phones once because I was having problems with my Motorola.
Right now the keys actually working fine which was the original issue that the key card wouldn't work to open the car unless I didn't manually. Now that's all working fine but it's still not giving me windows open notifications which is really helpful and importance since I'm basically driving around a big computer.

Upvote 0
Yeah I've been through the problem troubleshooting with the online tech support people a couple times and I was in the middle of doing it one more time when the other fault showed up because of the wet seat issue. But that's all dried out now in the fault has cleared. However there's still insisting I go down for a schedule appointment to the Tesla service center. I'm just wondering if it turns out to be basically a technical issue whether I'm going to get charged for it if it's something like the earlier person pointed out, that pixel phone sometimes have an issue connecting? I mean maybe it's my phone but I already switched phones once because I was having problems with my Motorola.
Right now the keys actually working fine which was the original issue that the key card wouldn't work to open the car unless I didn't manually. Now that's all working fine but it's still not giving me windows open notifications which is really helpful and importance since I'm basically driving around a big computer.
They are not going to charge you. They only charge you when you cause damage to the hardware.

Upvote 0
They are not going to charge you. They only charge you when you cause damage to the hardware.
THANK YOU. Sometimes it is so hard to get a straight answer out of tech support. Sometimes they are absolutely awesome and really respond beautifully and talk me through the learning curve of owning a Tesla. I mean I'm trying to do as much as I can on my own here but I'm
THANK YOU. I mean this past attempt, it had been so hard to get a straight answer out of tech support. They just don't respond, or give very vanilla answers, not specifically helpful. Other times they are absolutely awesome and respond beautifully. I guess it's that way with any big company tech support folks, luck of the draw. I'm gonna try the whole reset procedure one more time, and maybe switch phones if that doesn't work. And then if all that doesn't work, keep the in person service appt they have made for me. I just wish I could find someone else that has had this problem because I can't see anywhere on the forum that someone has had this problem before. Wish me luck!

Reactions: rlsd
Upvote 0