Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your build date for deliveries between Christmas and New Years?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doing this purely as a fun exercise... I noticed that my Model 3 has a build date of 12/19 on the sticker on the drivers door. The car was delivered 12/31 AM at the factory after ordering on 10/18.

I have read that Model 3's tend to take 5 days from the start of assembly to being delivery ready. My original text from Tesla on 12/22 said my car was in production and would exit the factory on 12/24 and deliver on 12/26. My home delivery for 12/26 was missed by Tesla and when I asked for more information, I was told the car had still not exited the factory. It seems quite a few other folks had a similar experience, at least in the Bay Area.

So, my question is why did Tesla miss the original delivery date? It seems the car must have been sitting at the factory starting around 12/26.

I picked up with 1 mile on it and it nearly flawless except for a slightly ajar charging door. So I don't think I received a car that was previously rejected at delivery.

I totally love my car, so this is not a complain about Tesla post.

Ordered 10/18, LR AWD, White/White, 18 inches

Last edited:
Oh duh! :) Do we have any way of determining the actual date it started or ended production?

FYI, to piggyback on what @OCR1 said, tesla calls it (or did at the end of 2018) the "born on" date. They wont print anything for you with that date on it, but they can look it up and see the born on date in their system. What I dont know is, is that the date it completed manufacturing, or is that the date it was assigned a vin (and is that date before, or after manufacturing)?

FWIW, my car's born on date is Nov 16th 2018, and I took delivery of it on 12/04 2018.

Similar story. Text I received from Tesla (12/24) stated my car was expected to be built on 12/25 and delivery was set for 12/27. However, delivery was actually delayed and done on 12/28. So I don't know if the build date was pushed to 12/26 or there was some other delay causing the delay in delivery.

Ordered 10/19, Performance, blue/black