Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your daily charge level?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
...charge to 100% because it will hurt the battery, and I believe even you know that's just not true.

Tesla is the one that has to honor the battery warranty. If they felt that they were going to have budgetary issues honoring it, don't you think that they may even add slightly more guidance than a sentence or two that I think has maybe even been around since the Roadster???
Technically it DOES "hurt" the battery. It is just that the 2170's are very robust and the amount of degradation is minimal BUT it is increased over a shorter cycle. Also keep in mind that Tesla warranty is for a 20% or more reduction in capacity. If you can keep more of that 20% longer by not charging to 100% very often then that is plus. It is just simple lit-ion science:

Charging to capacity or completely depleting puts the most stress on lit-ion's
Discharging fast or charging fast put more stress that slower
Ideal would be to slowly discharge to about 50% and then slowly recharge to about 70%

Of course this is impractical and we need to drive and enjoy.

Here is one of the best recourses for information on lit-ion (and all types of batteries).

Types of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I have my car set to 90%. Leave it plugged in whenever I'm at home. Not seeing any reason at all not to. The hassle of having to wonder "how full did I leave it last night?" or explaining to my wife "well, 80% is good, 90% is still good but maybe a little less good, but nobody really knows, and 100% is definitely not good unless you need to, when it's OK to do it but not every day" - yeah, 90% is the sweet spot. Set it and forget it!

IMG_EC5084B26CEB-1.jpeg

Technically it DOES "hurt" the battery. It is just that the 2170's are very robust and the amount of degradation is minimal BUT it is increased over a shorter cycle. Also keep in mind that Tesla warranty is for a 20% or more reduction in capacity. If you can keep more of that 20% longer by not charging to 100% very often then that is plus. It is just simple lit-ion science:

Charging to capacity or completely depleting puts the most stress on lit-ion's
Discharging fast or charging fast put more stress that slower
Ideal would be to slowly discharge to about 50% and then slowly recharge to about 70%

Of course this is impractical and we need to drive and enjoy.

Here is one of the best recourses for information on lit-ion (and all types of batteries).

Types of Lithium-ion Batteries – Battery University

Yes, and time destroys the battery as well. So if you add that, then should I throw the car away every year?
We have to get out of minutiae and into the what really matters.

• Disagree
Reactions: Rocky_H