Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What is your real range?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean how many miles you can drive from 90% to 10% during regular days . I have SR+ for 6 months and I recently realized that i can only drive 100-130 miles. And i live in Miami where weather is good. Very disappointed.

Unless you are doing that every day (doubtful), you are "running the car down and charging it back up" which tesla specifically says in the manual provides no benefit. Charge the car every evening, if you can. You also can not (for an EV) add up miles driven over multiple start and stop sessions and extrapolate that over miles used. That doesnt work in an ICE either, as miles in "city driving" and "highway driving" are different in both types of cars.

And.. you have been driving in winter. I dont care that "its miami". I live in san diego, and the weather in san diego is just as good as miami, and my wh/mi is 60-80 units higher from end november through beginning march, even though "its not cold" where I live either.. and this is driving the same drive back and forth to work, in the same way, every day.

I would think 50% range loss in Miami is pretty tough to do.
I don't lose that much up in NH.
Today if I had a long drive ahead of me I'd get 300 miles in my LR because it's 55 degrees outside.

I am virtually certain that this OP is not driving that at once, but expecting to get the 240 miles rated range of the SR+ while only plugging in when getting to 10% capacity left, and counting all the "around town" driving in the total (like driving 5-10 miles round trip running errands, etc, and counting that in the "I can only drive 100 miles from 90-10" statement.

Depends how fast you drive , outside temp, hills, and if you have AC on etc.

At ~75MPH - I use up about 1.3X the rated range - so 90% to 10% for my MR is 234-26 mi = 208 mi of rated range - and I get 150-160 actual miles. If I drove 65 I would do much better - but the extra time taken to do the drive is not made up for by less charge time (typically) - i.e. it is better to drive as fast as you can to the next supercharger stop (this is also helped by the fact the battery charges faster at lower states of charge). I did not compute the optimum speed - but generally I don;t want to go more than 10-15 MPH over the limit anyway ...

• Informative
Reactions: VQTRVA
I am virtually certain that this OP is not driving that at once, but expecting to get the 240 miles rated range of the SR+ while only plugging in when getting to 10% capacity left, and counting all the "around town" driving in the total (like driving 5-10 miles round trip running errands, etc, and counting that in the "I can only drive 100 miles from 90-10" statement.
Yes thats what i meant

On a trip between San Diego and LA with a few stop at the destination, I typically get 80-85% of the rated range of 325 miles for the LR RWD. I used to be between 85-90% of the rated range when the car was newer and before I swapped out the MXM4s for UHP A/S tires.

This one for example i drove from 90 to 10 for 2 days:
Imgur
And even in the best case scenario when i had long drives and good efficiency for 2 days i still got only 135 miles:
Imgur

The second screenshot shows only 35kw used, and your battery has more capacity than that... and that seems to be over 18 drives according to the screenshot.

Just over 10,000 miles and my SR+ lifetime average is 227 wh/mi (despite the cold winter this year). If the pack is ~54 kWh, then 80% should consistently get me 190 miles.

My secret? Chill mode and autopilot. I've found that nothing kills the range like sudden spikes in acceleration.

Reactions: DR61
Well I didn't buy Tesla to ride in chill mode

You're free to drive your car how you like, but I see so many posts like yours asking "Why is my range so low?" And generally the answer is "You're driving it like you stole it."

Drive efficiently if you want efficiency; or drive it fast and don't worry about efficiency.

Nothings adding up for me. I probably spent 5-6 months lately in Chill Mode, three of them straight with at least a few BMS resets out of the last twelve months in Chill to give my Performance every benefit of the doubt. While I still give it some umph back in P Mode, for whatever reason I get better Wh results in P Mode over driving like a Prius owner in Chill Mode.

At the end of the day, I still have a bad battery with more than 10% Range loss at 23k, but that’s considered normal by Tesla.

Last edited:
I can comfortably cover 200 miles.

Attachments

• IMG_0360.png
    IMG_0360.png
    291.1 KB · Views: 160