Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What key/card to give shops doing a wrap or other maintenance?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

BillHenn

🚗 '21 Model S LR MSM/Blk/FSD (RN1144) placed 2/8
Feb 19, 2021
Cleveland, OH
Hi all, I haven't owned a Tesla before (Model S on order) and am planning on getting PPF applied after I eventually get it. I was curious what people do in terms of leaving "keys" with shops who apply PPF, or even other places that might do things like change tires. I obviously don't want them having full access to the computer system with my personal info on it.

Is the key card and valet mode enough to leave with them? Will that allow entry into the trunk and frunk, both places someone applying a film would need to get into. Thanks for any tips!

Seems they would have to have access. I would lock my MSP in chill mode and have a combo on glovebox. Make sure they know how much a replacement fob would cost and that the Tesla has GPS location and video recording capability. Record miles when you drop off. I had a Z06 Corvette that ended up with 300+ miles on it when it went in for service for a recall. Needless to say the dealership owner and I had a "conversation".

M

Key card i thought that nonsense was just for the 3's but if you re really scared for whatever reason then go to a different shop you feel more comfortable at. you can put a pin unlock on the glovebox and put the car in valet mode so they have limited power and crap. other than that what is there that you dont want them having access to? Its a car just take it in. if you had an ICE car what concerns would you have, because they are the same for the tesla.

Seems they would have to have access. I would lock my MSP in chill mode and have a combo on glovebox. Make sure they know how much a replacement fob would cost and that the Tesla has GPS location and video recording capability. Record miles when you drop off. I had a Z06 Corvette that ended up with 300+ miles on it when it went in for service for a recall. Needless to say the dealership owner and I had a "conversation".

M
Had a similar experience.. Except that I was standing outside the dealership waiting for my car (Dodge Magnum back in 2007 or so).. I hear it start up and then hear it doing a long smokey burnout for at least 20 seconds... Wound up getting new rear tires, detailing and several free oil changes... Guessing it was the owners son or something since he wasn't fired... I was also there for a recall.. Every car since has had a dashcam and they were told that it will be recording for the duration of the visit and if they turn it off, there will be hell to pay. :)

Looking forward to my M3 long range...