Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What kind of roof would you choose ... if you could chose?

What kind of roof would you choose ... if you could chose?

• Glass

Votes: 23 40.4%
  • Solid metal

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Solid metal with an opening sunroof/moonroof

Votes: 15 26.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I find that I can't look up through the roof - well maybe I could if I drove it from the back seat. I really need to get someone to drive me around and see what that's like

I went glamping once and you can't see any stars at night. Personally I think it's more of a gimmick than anything else

In Texas we get a couple of days in the spring and two more in the fall when it would be really nice to open up a sunroof and let some fresh air into the cabin. I miss that from my old civic

Before my Tesla model 3 and Y, pretty much every other vehicle I had, had a sunroof I never used. This is a "personal preference" thing, but I also dont drive with my windows down (at all). I dont like the sound of "outside" when I am driving, and all a sunroof does is introduce those sounds to the vehicle, along with the sun burning the top of my head.

On the Teslas, I took them to get windows tinted within a week of taking delivery, and also tinted the glass roof 20% tint. I would personally prefer it if it were a solid metal roof, but a lot of people equate that with "cheap" since in many other brands, the sunroof is usually part of the upscale trims of those vehicles.

For me, either solid glass or solid metal is the preference (voted for solid metal though). A sunroof I would only open once, to see if it worked, then it would never be opened again (like on every BMW I had over the past 18-20 years).

Reactions: AMPd and tangible1
with over a million miles in the last 50 years, and having had both 'moon roof', hard steel, and now full glass roofs.....

I used the moon roof I had in most of my vehicles like maybe a half dozen times. mostly too noisy.
Glass is good, I like it quite a lot.

But in the end, hard steel works best overall.

In the case of a glass roof, I wish that tesla has an option to include a retractable sunshade like KIA / Hyundai provide it.

Since I immediately installed fixed sunshades, I really don't see the advantage of a glass roof

- which is heavy and costly than a metal roof.​
- Also with a metal roof, you may have an extra cover layer provideing a better insulation in winter.

Honestly, a glass roof is a big worry every time I carry something on my roof rack.

I already replaced my glass roof which was damaged by the impact of a rock when driving​
and I had to paid my car insurance deductable to replace it.​
When my car was rear ended, to replace the side quater panel, the body shop had to remove the glass roof.​
But doing so, the glass broked and had to be replaced, making the repair even more costly.​

I like the idea to have a solid metal roof, to have an idea of the look, someone put a vinyl cover and I think this look good:

Last edited:
Every vehicle I've had for the past 20 years has had a sunroof, and I rarely if ever used it. I always kept the shade closed. It was nice to have an operable sunroof when I wanted it, though. If the choice is to have a fixed roof, either glass or solid, I prefer solid. I find the glass fixed roof with no sunshade a huge inconvenience and annoyance. I had all of my glass tinted w/ ceramic window tint, including the roof, to reduce UV. I went with 70% on the roof. When the sun is high, even with the tint, I wear a ball cap as there's glare on my eyes and excessive heat on my bald head. In the front seats there's not a good view angle to look out of the glass roof. From the back seats it's much different, there's a much better view angle. I'd much prefer a solid roof for these reasons.

This is a area where a feel Tesla really needs to reconsider their priorities. I get they tried to cut corners in the MY to make it affordable. The glass roof is far more costly than a solid roof. I'd much prefer a satellite receiver & radio, especially in remote areas where there is poor of no cell service over a glass roof.

Reactions: gtae07