Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What mobile charger should I buy?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
WHICH CHARGER?
Our Chevy Volt uses a 240V Level 2 charger, which (with adapter) can charge our not-yet-delivered Tesla MYLRRWD.
However, I'd like to buy a cost-effective portable charger for the new car. I see prices from $150 to $500...
Presumably, "best deal" changes constantly - what's my best choice TODAY?

Tesla mobile connector

If you want higher output and are willing to spend the money for installation ...

Honestly the Tesla EVSEs are top in class and remarkably affordable.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Presumably, "best deal" changes constantly

Not really. The Tesla mobile connector is a high quality mobile charger, it supports using adapters for almost any outlet you would find to plug in, and it costs basically The same or less as every other charger except perhaps non UL certified amazon special "not sure what this is" chargers.

=========

(moderator note)

Thread title changed from "charger" to what it is now, as that seems to be what is being asked.

(I just posted this on another similar question, and copied it and am pasting it here for you.)

If you want a "portable" EVSE you definitely want to go with the Tesla Mobile Connector.

If your home's electrical system has the capacity, you will want to to have a licensed electrician install a 240 volt NEMA 14-50 receptacle with a 50 amp GFCI breaker, the appropriate size wire, and a quality Hubbell receptacle. This will give you the best charging experience using the TMC with 32 amp charging, ~7.5 kW.

If you have limited capacity on your electrical service and you cannot install a 50 circuit, any 240 volt circuit is better than using a 120 volt circuit, which is painfully slow, when using the Tesla Mobile Connector. NEMA Adapters are made for 15, 20, 30, and 50 amp 240 volt circuits

Whilst the Tesla Mobile Connector will give perfectly satisfactory service, most people on this forum recommend to install a Tesla Wall Connector if you have a place to do that. The cost is usually similar because the TWC does not require an expensive GFCI circuit breaker and Hubbell receptacle.

The TWC can be inside a garage or it can be installed outdoors on the side of your house or on a pedestal. If installed on a 60 amp circuit, this will give you 48 amp charging, on a 50 amp circuit it will give you 40 amp charging. No need for a GFCI breaker.

Even if you cannot install a 60 or 50 amp circuit, you can use a smaller 240 circuit with the Tesla Wall Connector. If you have limited electrical capacity, the TWC can be installed on as little as a 15 amp 240 volt circuit. But install it on as large a circuit as your capacity allows.

Be sure your electrician uses the correct size wire as EV charging is considered a continuous load and must be derated to 80% of its noncontinuous rating. We have found some electricians, and many handymen, do not understand this.

The thing with the TWC is the warranty depends on a professional installation. Possibly from a Tesla certified installer, not entirely sure on that point. I got a quote for $1600 installed (don't forget about the 30% federal tax credit) from the Tesla certified company that installed my solar.

That was a 60 amp circuit 15 feet away from the panel in an unfinished part of the garage. It'll charge at 48 amps unless I turn it down since it's hard wired. That was worth it for me since the TWC is about $500 with tax included. Plus another $400 or so in materials to do the job correctly. And no warranty in case anything happened. 12v electrical is no big deal. 120v is my personal limit so paying a net of about $1200 for a professional installation was worth it for me.

After hearing the stories and viewing videos about blown up 14-50 outlets, even commercial ones, it seemed unwise to me for installing an outlet that won't hold up to over 1000 hours a year of charging (330 nights a year charging for 4 hours a night) in various temperature ranges.

The thing with the TWC is the warranty depends on a professional installation. Possibly from a Tesla certified installer, not entirely sure on that point. I got a quote for $1600 installed (don't forget about the 30% federal tax credit) from the Tesla certified company that installed my solar.

That was a 60 amp circuit 15 feet away from the panel in an unfinished part of the garage. It'll charge at 48 amps unless I turn it down since it's hard wired. That was worth it for me since the TWC is about $500 with tax included. Plus another $400 or so in materials to do the job correctly. And no warranty in case anything happened. 12v electrical is no big deal. 120v is my personal limit so paying a net of about $1200 for a professional installation was worth it for me.

After hearing the stories and viewing videos about blown up 14-50 outlets, even commercial ones, it seemed unwise to me for installing an outlet that won't hold up to over 1000 hours a year of charging (330 nights a year charging for 4 hours a night) in various temperature ranges.
I do not know why a Wall Connector should cost any more to install than an 240 volt outlet. Assuming a 60 amp circuit, #6 THHN in conduit (or #6 MC cable) wire, no outlet, no outlet box, no GFCI breaker (just a regular $20 breaker). 50 amp outlet can use #8 THHN in conduit (or #8 MC cable), but the cost of the GFCI breaker will be more than the wire cost unless you have a really long run.

The 30% tax credit for EVSE only works if you are in certain census tracts (did not work for where I live). The solar tax credit works everywhere in the US.

I do not know why a Wall Connector should cost any more to install than an 240 volt outlet. Assuming a 60 amp circuit, #6 THHN in conduit (or #6 MC cable) wire, no outlet, no outlet box, no GFCI breaker (just a regular $20 breaker). 50 amp outlet can use #8 THHN in conduit (or #8 MC cable), but the cost of the GFCI breaker will be more than the wire cost unless you have a really long run.

The 30% tax credit for EVSE only works if you are in certain census tracts (did not work for where I live). The solar tax credit works everywhere in the US.

Thanks for the tax credit information! Turns out I'm not eligible. My rural listed neighbors down the road are eligible.

After a quick search about GFCI breakers on NEMA 14-50 outlets, it's to keep people from getting hurt when the outlet lets out the magic smoke. Which it seems like a lot of them used at higher amperage do after a few years. Not every single one but enough to be a concern. Avoiding the headache from that seems worthwhile. Hardwired EVSE's have their own issues but eliminating two potential failure points on what's likely to be the highest continuous load in the house seems rational to me. Then again, that's why we're free to make our own choices.

Thanks for the tax credit information! Turns out I'm not eligible. My rural listed neighbors down the road are eligible.

After a quick search about GFCI breakers on NEMA 14-50 outlets, it's to keep people from getting hurt when the outlet lets out the magic smoke. Which it seems like a lot of them used at higher amperage do after a few years. Not every single one but enough to be a concern. Avoiding the headache from that seems worthwhile. Hardwired EVSE's have their own issues but eliminating two potential failure points on what's likely to be the highest continuous load in the house seems rational to me. Then again, that's why we're free to make our own choices.
The actual purpose of a GFCI breaker is to protect a person who comes in contact with the non grounded conducto(s)r. For example, a hair dryer that falls into the bath tub. A faulty toaster or other appliance, where the person becomes part of the circuit to ground.

Or coming into contact with one of the large prong(s) on a 30 or 50 amp NEMA plug whilst it is not fully inserted into the receptacle.

Any time there is more than just a few miliamps of current flowing to ground, a working GFCI breaker will trip. I say "working": that is why GFCI receptacles and breakers should be tested regularly.

EVs may not use the most amount of kWh in most houses, because they are usually only on 2 to 4 hours a day, if charging at 48 amps, but they are likely the largest continuous load in most houses, because while they are on they are on continuously and most other devices cycle on and off. This puts more strain on the circuit, and is why a circuit for continuous loads should be derated to 80% of its non continuous capacity.

Reactions: Rocky_H
Just got a MYP..ordered the Tesla mobile since I had one prior with my other M3. Got tired of waiting and needed to charge my car!!! So I bought one off Amazon for way less and got it the next day and it works fine with adapters. Plus, you can change the Amps it charges at if you want, set a timer/scheduler....which I know the car you can set all of this as well. But it is nice to have those features. I'm currently using a 30a unused dryer outlet until I can get my charger installed...and just set it to 24a and the car to the same...no issues at all.

Plus, the cable is like 6ft longer, which was useful and reached my car from my laundry room to the garage/car by backing it up slightly closer to the wall. The Tesla charger is 20ft and wouldn't have reached with an extension...so that was a no-go as well. All I had to do was buy an adapter, no matter what charger (Tesla, or any other) I bought I needed this to go from the 14-50 NEMA to a 10-30R.

No issues...less expensive and it is very well made.

Whilst the Tesla Mobile Connector will give perfectly satisfactory service, most people on this forum recommend to install a Tesla Wall Connector if you have a place to do that. The cost is usually similar because the TWC does not require an expensive GFCI circuit breaker and Hubbell receptacle.
This^^^^

In my case, the Wall Connector was actually much less expensive than the Mobile Connector. My electric utility refunded me $250 for installing the Wall Connector. Also, I'm not sure that installing a 14-50 outlet in my garage would qualify for the tax credit, whereas installing the Wall Connector definitely did.

How I saved by buying $450 Tesla Wall Connector

Utility rebate $250
GFCI breaker not installed $125
Quality outlet not installed $75
Tax Credit $273

On edit: I actually did get a used Mobile Connector also for traveling. I recently used it in Harrison Arkansas where my charging options were severely limited.

This^^^^

In my case, the Wall Connector was actually much less expensive than the Mobile Connector. My electric utility refunded me $250 for installing the Wall Connector. Also, I'm not sure that installing a 14-50 outlet in my garage would qualify for the tax credit, whereas installing the Wall Connector definitely did.

How I saved by buying $450 Tesla Wall Connector

Utility rebate $250
GFCI breaker not installed $125
Quality outlet not installed $75
Tax Credit $273

On edit: I actually did get a used Mobile Connector also for traveling. I recently used it in Harrison Arkansas where my charging options were severely limited.
Installing an EVSE whether it is a Wall Connector or NEMA 14-50 outlet should qualify for the IRS tax credit Form 8911 EV charger tax credit.