Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What other OEM wheels fit a 2019 Performance Model 3?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone, first time poster yadda yadda

Last year I bought my 2019 Performance Model 3 used from a private seller to replace my totaled EVO X, and I've been highly enjoying a vehicle I don't have to constantly watch it's coolant temps. I've really wanted to get a second set of wheels both for summer tires AND for future SCCA autocross, but I'm working on a budget and I just can't stomach spending over $3K for new wheels and tires, especially when every OEM now basically has aluminum wheels as stock. I understand things like bolt pattern and the stepped lip (I plan on using hub centric rings like these to keep from having vibrations, and also because local tire shops refuse custom wheels without them) but I'm overwhelmed on the rest of the information about offset and such. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around it.

So my question is- are there stock OEM wheels that people have gotten to work on their M3P, and how did you get it to work?

The bolt pattern and offset is the same as the modern Mustangs. You can throw a Mustang wheel right on.

If you're serious about autocross, you're unlikely to find any stock wheels that are wide enough to be competitive. If you do, they will be more expensive than aftermarket options.

Buy some Koenig Ampliforms or Hypergrams and move on if what you care about is performance and not spending a ton. If you're more about looks and finding some used set of OK-but-not-great-for-autocross tires already on wheels, ten you can look for mustang stuff as one of your options.

FYI, the stock tires on that car were excellent summer Michelin Pilot Sports.

The bolt pattern and offset is the same as the modern Mustangs. You can throw a Mustang wheel right on.
Really? I thought the modern Mustang had an offset of 38-42mm? I don't think I found the offset for current Tesla wheels, so if they're a direct bolt-on that's phenomenal!
Do I need the hub-centric rings at all then? with only 0.4mm of difference in hub size I cannot find anything.

If you're serious about autocross, you're unlikely to find any stock wheels that are wide enough to be competitive. If you do, they will be more expensive than aftermarket options.

Buy some Koenig Ampliforms or Hypergrams and move on if what you care about is performance and not spending a ton. If you're more about looks and finding some used set of OK-but-not-great-for-autocross tires already on wheels, ten you can look for mustang stuff as one of your options.

FYI, the stock tires on that car were excellent summer Michelin Pilot Sports.
I'm only just starting in motorsport so I'm not hoping to be super competitive quite yet- I'm more hoping to have good, fun tires for summer with good sidewall (already the 19in Performance rims had a tire pop on the sidewall thanks to our roads) that ALSO allow me to sample autocross. Good to know those 4S Michelin's are so good; when I bought mine, the prior owner admitted he "didn't believe in tire rotation" so mine had 4 separate tires on all wheels (the front driver's side tire literally losing chunks) but regional supply forced me to go stock Continentals.

The only OEM Model 3 wheel not compatible with M3P are the 18" Aero wheels. They do not clear the rear brake caliper radially so even spacers will not remedy this. The other 19" and 20" options should be a direct plug and play affair.

Lastly, Tesla OEM wheels are of cast construction. Soft, and prone to cracking + bending. Many of our M3P clients "upgrade" to a lightweight 19" setup of flow-formed or fully-forged construction.

Danny

Really? I thought the modern Mustang had an offset of 38-42mm? I don't think I found the offset for current Tesla wheels, so if they're a direct bolt-on that's phenomenal!
Stock offset of an M3P is 35mm. You can find all the Tesla wheel specs here:

You can use spacers to decrease offset, so it is possible to run a 45mm wheel on a car meant for 35mm for instance. Spacers aren't free however.

I personally do not run hub rings on my wheels that have larger bores than OEM.
Read up on bores here: Center bore on 2021 Performance Model 3 rims

that ALSO allow me to sample autocross.
You can (and should) autocross anything. You don't need to buy tires or wheels to go autocrossing. The best car to autocross is the one you're in.
I'd suggest you go do a few events before buying anything. If you really get into autocross, you're going to want much wider, stickier tires and wheels. You'll regret a street focused purchase. If you don't really get into it, then you can buy a more street focused summer set that you can use to casually go autocrossing. Also, and this is no offense because we've all been there, but you'll be terrible at AutoX your first few events and tires won't matter at all.

Ping @superflyrolla - He's in Iowa too and a great autocrosser and might be able to help you at an event.

• Love
Reactions: superflyrolla
Any other car manufacturer's OEM wheels (ex Honda, Acura, Nissan, etc) directly fit Model 3 (with/without wheel adaptors or spacers)?
Honda's with 5x114.3 bolt pattern share the same center bore size (64.1mm). However, this will not clear the stepped lip on Model 3 Performance.
Mustang center bore matches the outer stepped lip but not the actual hub lip.

Danny