Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home?

What Percent is Your Tesla Charged to While at Home on a Regular Basis?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All recommendations Tesla give is for both NCA and NMC/A for those cars, and it also covers all over the world at all different climate and temperatures.
They all make sense against the research, if you read them as they are stated and not add own interpretations to the advices.

Remember when Tesla says '80%' they say 'up to 80%', not at 80%. So 50%, like how a few of us do here, is within Tesla's recommendations.

Remember when Tesla says '80%' they say 'up to 80%', not at 80%. So 50%, like how a few of us do here, is within Tesla's recommendations.
Objection! ;)

But only for the specific 80%.
We both agree that the recommendation includes 50% :)

When it was 90%, it was “to below 90%.

Today you get no information in the app if you select 80%, but you get it at 81%.

80 - no hints.
IMG_7723.jpeg

81% - The “80% recommended for daily driving.
IMG_7724.jpeg

Note to myself; remember to slide it back to 55%.

t’was “to below 90%” before:
IMG_7725.jpeg

Yes, for normal ambient temps there is not a big difference between any SOC between 70-100% for NCA and NMC. (same for LFP as well but from 75-80%)

High temps are worse on all SOC, but as calendar aging is [time x temp x SOC], in general high temps togheter with high SOC is not the best idea.

There is a lot of research ´data showing that about 80% is worse than 100% for Panasonic NCA so its not always 100% that is the worst SOC, and for most 80% is about as bad as 80%, and never ever even close to "the best".

View attachment 1023610

This is actual Tesla model S cells taken from a almost new S about 2016. See that 80% is worse than 100% at all temp ranges.
View attachment 1023612
The second test you quote is exactly the one that mixes in cycling. When you mix in cycling, you introduce variables like what SOC window is used, what baseline is used (are they comparing to cells brand new or using post cycling baseline), differences in portion of charge/discharge vs storage time depending on what charge/discharge speeds are chosen. As such it no longer shows the pure storage-only contribution.

I do not agree with the "strongly recommend against" charging to 100%. That must be how you interpreted the information.

If you remember the time before changing daily to 80%, it was "below 90%".
In both cases they state that daily should be 80 or below 90% and for trips more is okey, as per the need.

We know that using 80% every day will cause much more degradation than charging to 100% whenever a longer trip give us the need to do this.
The main idea is that if you do not charge over 80% most of the days, then whatever you do, the cycle size (or depth of discharge if you so like) will not be 100%.

All recommendations Tesla give is for both NCA and NMC/A for those cars, and it also covers all over the world at all different climate and temperatures.
They all make sense against the research, if you read them as they are stated and not add own interpretations to the advices.
I'm talking about how the UI strongly discourages you from charging to 100% even though that is what people naturally want to do. Not only is the automatic setting set lower, it also warns you it would shorten battery life when you try to override it:
AM-JKLV-ivm5JWpSJF9hmNzDeKXiVMtZltdMfDZylk2nooNODG9NVDTxRMMfaEqE3qu57xkNbt-QiDIK88_-eZGgEDPuJdSBzY6S-4jqEAhH8MrbHNM_dBFXuV4Zt4E9ET37uAxzxI613kkTHjUqdg-1LEdDyw=s1000

As such most people, if they listen to Tesla, will feel 100% = bad for battery life, and to be avoided unless absolutely necessary to make a trip.

The second test you quote is exactly the one that mixes in cycling.
No, it did not mix in cycling.

I know the text is deceptive, but what it means is that these cells was at storage/calendar aging at the same time as the cyclic tests was running.
IMG_7733.jpeg

This report
I'm talking about how the UI strongly discourages you from charging to 100% even though that is what people naturally want to do. Not only is the automatic setting set lower, it also warns you it would shorten battery life when you try to override it:
AM-JKLV-ivm5JWpSJF9hmNzDeKXiVMtZltdMfDZylk2nooNODG9NVDTxRMMfaEqE3qu57xkNbt-QiDIK88_-eZGgEDPuJdSBzY6S-4jqEAhH8MrbHNM_dBFXuV4Zt4E9ET37uAxzxI613kkTHjUqdg-1LEdDyw=s1000

As such most people, if they listen to Tesla, will feel 100% = bad for battery life, and to be avoided unless absolutely necessary to make a trip.
You get that after three times charging to 100% if I remember that correct?

IMG_7734.jpeg

This is the text for model S, just before they changed the recommendation to 80%, at that time they also moved the info to the car and app.

I hardly ever wash my cars. Maybe once in 5 years or so. Often not at all. Only enough water to get rid of bird bombs and windscreen wipers🤣

Dirt is a paint coating

Washed one week ago before I went away for a few days work.
AaaaaaaaaaaI didnt even drive it much and it looks like this.

Not fun when 4 foot of winter turns to above freezing :oops: Winter is not even close to ending, its just Murpy messing up my waxed car :mad:
IMG_7757.jpeg

So, yes I wash more than once a year.

Hi Everyone,
Got my first tesla model 3 highland Long range.

Just wondering if i should charge my tesla nightly at home with my wall charger to 80%? I drive around 40km (round trip) to work daily. Should I charge everynight or will that wear out the battery faster?

Sorry new to this.

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if i should charge my tesla nightly at home with my wall charger to 80%? I drive around 40km (round trip) to work daily. Should I charge everynight or will that wear out the battery faster?

Sorry new to this.
No need to be sorry for asking a question. If your daily trip is only 40km, I'd say charge to 60% unless you have a reason to keep a larger buffer there. Yes, keep it plugged in every night.

Hi Everyone,

Sorry new to this.
I agree with @1965Falcon , I have a 25-30mi daily drive, same as you, and that's 10% for me, so I charge to 60% and plug-in nightly. After 5 ½yrs, I still have all my original EPA-estimated range. Started with 310mi, and my very last reading was 310mi.
IMG_51A983DE9EB3-1.jpeg