Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do (s or 3)

Which car should I get?

• Model 3 - Has newer AP hardware

Votes: 17 56.7%
  • Model S

Votes: 13 43.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few weeks ago, I test drove a new Long range 3 back to back with a new S (100D). Objectively the 3 was better in almost every way listed above. The lack of the cluster didn't bother me, and there aren't actually many (useful) things you can do with S's extra steering wheel buttons (they missed the boat on offering useful media controls).

That being said, I've been in love with S since it was introduced in 2012. Just think it's one of the nicest looking cars you can buy. Also really like the hatchback. And (mainly) for that purely emotional reason*, I'll likely get a used S instead of a 3. The S also had a more "German car" feel (likely owing to the heft and Mercedes switchgear) which is something I"m used to and prefer.

The sales associate clearly favored the 3 and was trying to steer me toward one. When he asked me for my impressions, I realized I didn't have any good reason for preferring the S but still wanted one.

*Not entirely true: I don't like that the Model 3 comes with mandatory fake leather. As nice as it feels, fake leather always makes my back sweat profusely on longer drives. With a used S (pre Aug 17 I believe), you can still get real leather (or cloth). And, they also can be had with opening sunroofs (even some leftover inventory models have this feature) which is something else I prefer. Finally, my wife is a die-hard satellite radio fan, so getting a car without that feature would piss her off (can't get it w/ a 3). Also was hard to tell on a quick test drive but I think the S had less wind noise.

Last edited:
Trying to decide between two options (same price - $53k)

1. Model 3 Long Range AWD, Midnight Silver with sport wheels. Advantage is it has the latest autopilot hardware.

2. 2016 Model S 75D with 20k miles. AP1 hardware and free supercharging. Options include Autopilot Convenience, Premium Upgrade, Next Gen seats, leather, Pano Sunroof, Hepa Air filter, carbon fiber spoiler, Sonic Carbon Slipstream 19" wheels.

Commute during school year is 30 miles one way. Drop off 12 and 14 year olds at school and then to work. 18000 miles a year. Color is Blue with Carbon wheels (attached). Help a brother out; which should I get. I do wish the S had air suspension....

Probably should wait. I bought a red M3 Long range AWD with FSD and AP for 41k two weeks ago. You can find a better price than 53k

What to buy? $60,000 this post is just like your problem, several similar answers too, and some different ones. FYI, New model S's now have free super charging again (don't know for how long) maybe a lease? I got a pre owned 2016 90D with the suspension, moon roof, Xm radio, and cold weather (not much use for that in Texas) but mine was 51k. EV hunter.com will let you see all the tesla's for sale nationwide in one place. I almost bought one in Dallas but the one in Las Vegas worked out better for me. Size of the S and the center console were decision factors for wife and me. Best of luck.