Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do with my 19” tires and wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was offered a wheel upgrade to 19” wheels on my LR RWD Model 3. When I picked up the car yesterday the car still had the 18” wheels on it. They created a due bill for the 19” wheels and tires and told me they would be ready within about 2 weeks.

The manager told me that they don’t need the 18” wheels and tires back. I guess they wouldn’t have much use for some lightly used tires and wheels.

So within the next couple of weeks I’m going to have to do something with the tires. Initially I was just planning on going with the upgraded 19” tires since they offered me a free upgrade. However, after reading about them it appears the main benefit to them is they look better, but they reduce the range a bit over the 18” wheels. So at this point I’m leaning toward staying with the 18” wheels for now.

So that leads to my question, what should I do with the set of 19” wheels and tires? Should I just pick them up and store them in my garage until it’s time to replace the tires and them swap them with the 19’s? Or should I just sell them? I’ve seen the 19” wheel and winter tire package on the Tesla website for $3,500 but I have no idea what the OEM Continental set would be worth?

Any suggestions on best way to proceed?

Brand new 19's should garner you between $1500 for a quick sale up to about $1800 if you wait for the right buyer

20's started to sell at about the $2000 mark, so your perfect price point is that $1500-1800 mark.

Good luck.

Is that $1,500 for just the tires or tires and wheels?

If the cost to upgrade from 18” to 19” wheels is $1,500 I would think the cost to purchase new ones would be closer to $3,500. Otherwise everyone would take the stock 18” wheels included in the price and then just buy a second set of 19” tires and wheels for $1,500.

Do you want to sell them ?

That is what they go for, I get that the “difference” and the cost to buy them is not the same but everone here had the chance to upgrade to 19” for the difference so you need someone who already has a car with 18’s and wants to give you cash.

If those are NEW 19 inch wheels with NEW 19 inch OEM tires, I'll give $1000 for them plus shipping, which would cost me a bit, unless Tesla will ship them to my local service center. Ask your Tesla service center if they will ship them to mine (Wexford, PA).

Nah, the upgrade option from Tesla is only $1500. OEM wheels aren't worth much, it's the aftermarket stuff that gets insane prices.

Fair enough, but who would give Tesla $1,500 to upgrade the wheels from 18" to 19" if for the same $1,500 they could get two entire sets of OEM tires and wheels. Anyone who bought their Model 3 with the 18" aeros and would like to upgrade to 19" would have to pay close to $3,500 to do that, myself included. I had always planned on going with the 19" wheels anyway, but at this point I might as well just get the miles on the 18's and then swap to the 19's when it's time for a new set of tires.

If the cost to upgrade from 18” to 19” wheels is $1,500 I would think the cost to purchase new ones would be closer to $3,500. Otherwise everyone would take the stock 18” wheels included in the price and then just buy a second set of 19” tires and wheels for $1,500.
Indeed that's why a lot of people are buying 19 and 20" wheels from sources other than Tesla.

I'm still undecided about whether to keep the 19's or 18's. I watched the Edmunds video on the test track where they give a glowing review to the 19" tires but I'm not sure how much that matters in normal day to day driving. Does anyone have experience driving an M3 with both the 18" and 19" wheels that can tell me whether they notice a difference in every day driving? I get that they look better but that's not all that important to me personally. If they really make the car drive better that would be of interest to me.

I'm still undecided about whether to keep the 19's or 18's. I watched the Edmunds video on the test track where they give a glowing review to the 19" tires but I'm not sure how much that matters in normal day to day driving. Does anyone have experience driving an M3 with both the 18" and 19" wheels that can tell me whether they notice a difference in every day driving? I get that they look better but that's not all that important to me personally. If they really make the car drive better that would be of interest to me.

Looks > *

Seriously, if you don’t care about looks, just sell them.

I got the standard wheels and then upgraded to the TSportline Turbines 19”. I wasn’t a huge fan of the sport wheels. The ride is harsher and you give up Range...but the looks!

Reactions: Watts_Up