Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do with my 19” tires and wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm still undecided about whether to keep the 19's or 18's. I watched the Edmunds video on the test track where they give a glowing review to the 19" tires but I'm not sure how much that matters in normal day to day driving. Does anyone have experience driving an M3 with both the 18" and 19" wheels that can tell me whether they notice a difference in every day driving? I get that they look better but that's not all that important to me personally. If they really make the car drive better that would be of interest to me.
Ok, here's my review, I bought my car with the 19" sport wheels, drove about 17,500 miles on them before I decided to change tires on my car, I was looking at other 19" wheels (Titan 7) but decided that I really like the looks of the 19" Stiletto sport wheels so I wanted to have them powder coated.

I found a place that did a black chrome powder coat pvd finish that I liked but they needed my wheels for a week so I came here to this forum and bought a complete aero set, I only drove on them for 200 miles and they only had 700 miles on them when I got them but they are quieter and more efficient, handling is no where near as good especially when the roads get wet, if you like spirited driving at all then you will not want these tires IMO

Today I have on my powder coated wheels the Continental Extreme Contact DWS06 in a 255/40/19 and this tire comes in at 24.8 lbs. so not too much heavier than the stock 23 lb. tire, the handling has drastically improved from stock 19" rubber and worlds apart form the 18" Michelin tires, the comfort is as good as the Michelin's, I know the tire is 27" dia. vs. 26.4" for stock but I knew a larger tire would make the car handle better and there is plenty of room for it, speedo is spot on at 80 mph vs. my phone gps speedo app so either the speedo was off before or the speedo is gps ?, tire is little noisier but not too bad after break in and now the car just feels much more planted and running 44 to 45 lbs. psi seems just right for this tire.

Last edited:
Considering the the 19” snow package is $3500 that’s about what Tesla would sell these 19” for.

My guess is you could sell them easily for $2500-ish

I think it’s silly to garage them until 18” wear out. If you sell those then they will be worthless. If you wait on selling 19” they will also be worthless.

If your not sure put them on now and try them. You’ll get a little less if you run them. Keep in mine you will go through tires faster with that particular tire. Nothing is free.

First Spring around the corner for many folks they will get premium price.

It depends on what you care about. If you only care about dry skid pad numbers, get the 19s. If you care about anything else (such as cost, resistance to potholes, tire life, performance in poor weather, etc.) get the 18s. Of course a really good 19 will be better than a really poor 18, but with like tires, the 18s win in most categories.

Thanks for all of the suggestions. After giving it some thought, I'm going to stick with the 18's on my car and sell the 19s. I'll update the post and also post in the marketplace forum once I confirm with the Service Center that they are in stock and ready to pick up. If anyone is interested in making an offer, please feel free to message me privately. Thanks.

Update...I picked up the 19'" Tesla OEM Wheels and Tires today and they are sitting in my garage. I have them posted in the Marketplace under Tesla Parts For Sale. If anyone is interested please PM me. I would prefer to sell to someone who can pick them up in Orange County, CA so that I don't have to ship them. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0611.jpeg
    IMG_0611.jpeg
    507.6 KB · Views: 104
I'm still undecided about whether to keep the 19's or 18's. I watched the Edmunds video on the test track where they give a glowing review to the 19" tires but I'm not sure how much that matters in normal day to day driving. Does anyone have experience driving an M3 with both the 18" and 19" wheels that can tell me whether they notice a difference in every day driving? I get that they look better but that's not all that important to me personally. If they really make the car drive better that would be of interest to me.

I have the 19" performance and 18" winters, the 19" is a superior ride and less noisy.