Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should I do?

What should I do?

• Wait for redesign

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I purchased my Model 3 SR + last September and I instantly fell in love with it. With it being my first ever EV I really didn’t realize how much I need a long range battery instead of the standard range since I drive so much and my living conditions prohibits me from installing a charger. I’ve been relying on supercharging or 110v plug at work that will get me only a little bit of range. So I’ve been saving up to purchase a dual motor long range Model 3. What I wasn’t expecting was Tesla to bring back enhanced autopilot for the month and I really want to upgrade to that if possible. I waited for battery day to see you if Tesla would of done any improvements on Model 3 like the rumors have been saying but nothing at all for Model 3 on battery day. So now I’m thinking if I should wait for the redesign Model 3 or just buy enhanced autopilot and keep my current car and just wait until Tesla releases they’re new battery tech in 3 years. What should I do?

I don't think EAP is worth $4000. I also don't think it's worth waiting another 3-4 years. Technology changes so fast that you're never going to have the best thing for long. Also as you can see, Tesla can easily release "upgrades" available for purchase afterwards. I'd get what you can afford and what is convenient for you and enjoy the vehicle.

My two cents. Anytime you buy a car, I always say continue paying for it until it is paid-off. You’ve already paid a year for the car and you probably have another 5. Quickly pay the car off and buy the car outright. Then you can decide your next vehicle. You don’t want to be throwing away a year’s worth of payments. You’ve managed this long, I’d say continue to ride it out. By the time the car is paid off, you’ll have a car to your name, and Tesla’s next generation of cars will be out.

I’d say put that 4K towards the car’s payment. If EAP seems like a great deal for you then do it. But again, there are rumors for a monthly subscription for the FSD/EAP could be coming soon.

• Love
Reactions: aTri and chrstna4
...any improvements on Model 3...

I think Range is King so I would pay for that first, then FSD next.

You might need lots of patience to wait for what you want but not been produced. People have been paying $45,000 Roadster deposit since 2017 and after 3 years, there's no telling when they will get it.

Thus, I would pay for what I need right now rather than wait for some projection such as Tesla Model S Plaid available by end of 2021.

There will be improvements but the question is can you wait for an unknown length of time.

And if you wait long enough, the $25,000 Tesla car will be here too!

Last edited:
Like people say, losing money on a financed car is always a bad idea. If you like the car and drive a lot, freeways, bumper to bumper, all that, you'll get a lot out of NOA and enjoy the car better until it's paid off, then you can see what to get next. The subscription rumor is unclear, and Musk apparently said something like buying it outright would always be cheaper.

Nothing wrong with Supercharging. You might also be able to get 220 at work out of two 120 sockets, there are adapters.

It is impossible to give you good advice on this.
I would take my car to get an estimate on a trade in.
Range is king. See if fits into your pocket book.
If not keep saving and pick a time where it fits.
No I would not do an upgrade on a car that does not
fit my lifestyle.

EAP isn’t going to solve your range problem and it’s unlikely that we will see significant improvements to the range of the Model 3 for a couple of years (I hope I’m wrong though). So this really becomes a more a question of whether or not you can live with your current charging lifestyle for years. If not, your only option is to sell this car and get the LR.

Reactions: one2many
If money is at all tight (and by definition it is, if there is a need to finance a car purchase), then I would follow the advice above in this thread and not trade the car nor buy FSD or enhanced autopilot. The most cost effective solution might actually be to consider a move to a place where you can get L2 charging, at least a dryer plug in the garage.

At times like this, it’s good to take a look at the whole financial picture, start to think about where you want to be money wise in 3 years, etc. If you can find a good financial planner it can be worth exploring the possibilities with them. The idea is to be intentional about what you are trading off when you pull the trigger on this car stuff.

I see a lot of folks on this forum caught up in the “I want the latest” thing, canceling deliveries just in case some improvement to the Model 3 might be announced at Battery Day etc. The problem with that, as lots of us have learned the hard way, is that a long term purchase like a car will always spend years not being the latest thing anymore. Best to try to make one’s peace with that up front if possible.

• Love
Reactions: nvx1977
I purchased my Model 3 SR + last September and I instantly fell in love with it. With it being my first ever EV I really didn’t realize how much I need a long range battery instead of the standard range since I drive so much and my living conditions prohibits me from installing a charger. I’ve been relying on supercharging or 110v plug at work that will get me only a little bit of range. So I’ve been saving up to purchase a dual motor long range Model 3. What I wasn’t expecting was Tesla to bring back enhanced autopilot for the month and I really want to upgrade to that if possible. I waited for battery day to see you if Tesla would of done any improvements on Model 3 like the rumors have been saying but nothing at all for Model 3 on battery day. So now I’m thinking if I should wait for the redesign Model 3 or just buy enhanced autopilot and keep my current car and just wait until Tesla releases they’re new battery tech in 3 years. What should I do?

Model 3 redesign? You might as well wait for the Model 2 with autopilot hardware in it then.