Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What should my tread depth be?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model S came with the 19" Continental ProContact RX tires. I didn't measure the tread depth when I got them. I now have only 3,762 miles and the tread depth is 7/32. Is that normal? Seems kind of low to me. What is the recommended depth for these tires before getting new ones?

My model S came with the 19" Continental ProContact RX tires. I didn't measure the tread depth when I got them. I now have only 3,762 miles and the tread depth is 7/32. Is that normal? Seems kind of low to me. What is the recommended depth for these tires before getting new ones?
A new car tire typically has a tread depth of 10⁄32 or 11⁄32 inches while a light truck will have between 11⁄32 and 19⁄32 inches. The U.S. Department of Transportation recommends that you replace your tires once they've worn down to 2⁄32 inches.

Upvote 0
A new car tire typically has a tread depth of 10⁄32 or 11⁄32 inches while a light truck will have between 11⁄32 and 19⁄32 inches. The U.S. Department of Transportation recommends that you replace your tires once they've worn down to 2⁄32 inches.
If it came with 10 or 11, I'm surprised it is wearing down so quickly. I usually drive very conservatively and only demonstrated acceleration maybe 4 times.

Upvote 0
The specs I find on Continental's website for what I think is roughly the right size ProContact RX 19" rim size list 9/32nd for the tread depth. So that says you're down maybe 1/32~2/32 of an inch is all (allowing for some measurement error).

Exact tire size I checked was 245/40 R19. Here's link to their site for reference. ProContact RX Specifications

Reactions: mtiede and ucmndd
Upvote 0