Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What tires come on the Tesla 3 Performance? Confusion searching answer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Yes, I've google'd the question but getting conflicting information searching. Also, the model I test drove had Continentals which adds to confusion.

I've also read that the tires on the car have foam liners?

Thanks!

The model 3 performance with performance pack comes with 20" michelin Pilot super sport 4S tires. If you manage to find a performance car without the performance pack, those can come with 18 inch tires (whichever one tesla has OEM).

Hi,

Yes, I've google'd the question but getting conflicting information searching. Also, the model I test drove had Continentals which adds to confusion.

I've also read that the tires on the car have foam liners?

Thanks!

Michelin TO PS4's come on the performance and yes they do have foam glued into the tire.

There is a regular Michelin PS4 as well as a Tesla Michelin PS4. The Tesla's have foam.

th

No other tire manufacturer currently has the sound deadening foam on the inside.

That acoustic foam is worth a lot more than $20 to $30 per tire.

I have tested both. Its amazing.

Yes they are willing to patch these tires. There is nothing different about patching foam as opposed to non-foam.

The problem comes in with Tire repair kits that have the solution that you pump into the tires. I can attest to the fact that the tire-inflator solution does not work on foam tires at all. The foam keeps that tire inflator solution from reaching the hole in the tire.

Reactions: afadeev and tvad
That acoustic foam is worth a lot more than $20 to $30 per tire.

I have tested both. Its amazing.

Yes they are willing to patch these tires. There is nothing different about patching foam as opposed to non-foam.

The problem comes in with Tire repair kits that have the solution that you pump into the tires. I can attest to the fact that the tire-inflator solution does not work on foam tires at all. The foam keeps that tire inflator solution from reaching the hole in the tire.

I'll confirm that my local tire shop was able to patch the 18" foam lined tires.

Reactions: afadeev
To answer the actual OP clearly-

P3D+ (Performance with the Performance Upgrade Package)= 20" wheels with Michelin PS 4S tires

P3D- (Performance without the Performance Upgrade Package)- specifically those from last year- 18" aero wheels with Michelin MXM4 tires.

P3D- made THIS year- have been delivered with both the 18s and MXMs and some have gotten them with the 19s which come with the Continental tires you saw.

Pirelli calls their system with foam in the tires PNCS for Pirelli Noise Cancelling System. :)

Both Pirelli and Continental are quieter with the foam, however their tire tread pattern is noisy as ever. Of course the foam suppresses that tire tread noise, but the Michelins without the foam are quieter than both Pirelli and Continentals with foam.

I used sound meters for scientific results and my ears for reality results. They both matched.

Both Pirelli and Continental are quieter with the foam, however their tire tread pattern is noisy as ever. Of course the foam suppresses that tire tread noise, but the Michelins without the foam are quieter than both Pirelli and Continentals with foam.

I used sound meters for scientific results and my ears for reality results. They both matched.
My winter tires are the Pirelli Sottozero 3s in 245/45-18, and my summer tires are the stock Michelin Primacy MXM4s in 235/45-18, and overall I'd say that the Pirellis are quieter than the Michelins despite the Michelins having the foam while the Pirellis I have don't. The difference in noise between the two tires is very small however.

Im curious as to why you went for 245/45/18's for your winter tyres instead of the standard 235/45/18 size that Tesla uses?
The reason i ask is because i actually do have a set of Sottozero's in 245/45/18 on some wheels from previous car (which dont fit my car) and im thinking of getting a set a 18" wheels to use these tyre on with my Model 3 Performance. Does the wider tyre make much of a difference in grip and efficiency?

Im curious as to why you went for 245/45/18's for your winter tyres instead of the standard 235/45/18 size that Tesla uses?
The reason i ask is because i actually do have a set of Sottozero's in 245/45/18 on some wheels from previous car (which dont fit my car) and im thinking of getting a set a 18" wheels to use these tyre on with my Model 3 Performance. Does the wider tyre make much of a difference in grip and efficiency?
Last year when I was getting snow tires, the 235s weren't in stock. I also thought that having a little more sidewall would protect the wheel a little better. I haven't noticed a difference in efficiency versus the stock 18" tires, but I would say that they handle a little better pretty much everywhere. The biggest difference I noticed is that they fill the wheel wells up just a little bit more than stock and look better.