Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to carry for 5-15 or 5-20 charging if that's all I can get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Taking a 1000 mile trip soon and expect at my destination to have no other options than 120v. Don't know if I will have a 15 or 20 amp outlet and fully expect I'll need an extension cord. I have both the 5-15 and 5-20 adapters but dont want to have to carry both long extension cords. Are there any better options?

I have both adapters from Tesla but really it’s easier to use a 14-50 cord and 14-50 adapters for everything. Then you just set the car to the max current and you are set with one extension code. Obviously I only use the Tesla 14-50 adapter when using the extension cord and then evseadapters.com adapters on the far end. (Tesla adapters on the UMC when I don’t need an extension.)

Hope that makes sense. I find this easier than carrying multiple extension cords.

Taking a 1000 mile trip soon and expect at my destination to have no other options than 120v. Don't know if I will have a 15 or 20 amp outlet and fully expect I'll need an extension cord. I have both the 5-15 and 5-20 adapters but dont want to have to carry both long extension cords. Are there any better options?

A 5-20 extension cord probably will not be of much use, it will be iffy to use. The 5-15 will be much more commonly used.
But as SSedan mentioned, check PlugShare.com. You'll find a LOT more availability of J-1772 chargers around the country then Tesla Superchargers or destination chargers. A couple of hours at a J-1772 can make up an overnight at 120V.
Unless you are going to be a lot of travelling off of the Interstates, the Superchargers should handle a lot of your requirements, even if you don't plug in overnight.
Don't forget campgrounds if you get in a bind.

A 5-20 extension cord probably will not be of much use, it will be iffy to use. The 5-15 will be much more commonly used.
Depends on where you’ll be plugging in. Many commercial locations have outdoor 20A outlets. I’ve used my 20A extension cord and 5-20 UMC adapter many times overnight at hotels. It charges about 40% faster than on a 15A circuit as once you account for the charging overhead, all the extra amps goes into the battery. Sure it takes longer than charging at a J772, but who cares as the car has to sit at the hotel overnight anyway so it might as well be charging. Better than having to drive to a J1772 somewhere and take the time to charge when you’d rather be somewhere else.

Reactions: Level 1 and JasJ
I built my own 75 foot 10-gauge extension cord. I used industrial grade connectors on the end, and it’s obvious that 5-15 and 5-20 male ends are identical construction expect for the direction of the one blade. Therefore the 5-15 should handle just as much current as the 5-20, so I just leave the 5-15 on the cord. If I plug it into a 5-20 outlet, I put the 5-20 adapter on the UMC. I also carry a 6-15 end for this cord, since I know a few places that can be useful. Swapping takes a few minutes and a screwdriver. The UMC is fine with getting 240v though the 5-15 or 5-20 adapters.

Reactions: davewill
I have my kit for this. I bought a heavy duty 10 gauge extension cord--50 feet I think. The plug and receptacle ends of it are 5-15, but I did buy that same tiny little pigtail that @tpham07 showed a link to. So I can look if the outlet is a 5-20 or not. The extension cord's 5-15 plug can plug into it either way, and if the outlet really is a 5-20, then I can put that little pigtail on the other end for the UMC to plug the 5-20 adapter into.

I've used a Quick220 to tie two 120v outlets together and get 240v at 12amp. It's about 3 times the charge rate of just 120v but you need 2 different circuits to make it work, they can't be on the same outlet or 'leg' of the house wiring.

I was caught at my brother's with only 110. We went down to Home Depot and got two 50 foot extension cords a 14 50 plug and one of those cheap little 110 or 220 measurement devices. Saved a lot of money over the quick220! And, of course, works exactly the same. Took me about 25 minutes to put it all together, and then about 10 minutes to find two plugs that would work!