Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to look for going from BMW 3 to Model 3 LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

We are looking at going from a BMW 335 to Model 3 LR. Has anyone done a similar transition? What would you say was the biggest change?

We also have an X, so are pretty use to EV operations. But the X is a big boat compared to the 335 or Model 3.

We had a 335 with the sports and luxury packages, and owned 5 BMW’s over the last 30 years. I loved each one of them, but they weren’t remotely close to the 3. Since you already have an X, you won’t have a learning curve, which I think is the biggest challenge. Other than that, the instant torque and regeneration braking are a big change, in addition to not having a lot of buttons to control. The only thing I miss from my BMW’s are the sunroof. Congratulations, you will love your 3.

Last edited:
If the BMW is an F30 (likely since you say 335), the model 3 has markedly better handling to go along with the torque. You will feel like you have a significantly faster car, even though its not "faster" top speed (which most never reach), and the 0-60 is not "that" much different.

There is a reason there are so many BMW folk littered around here, lol.

Look for a thread by @destructure00

He is a tesla model 3P owner now, but had a thread asking a similar question that had really good response. One of the reasons (in my opinion anyway) that BMW is getting its lunch money taken by tesla in the mid sized sport sedan market is because the model 3 is a "better BMW" than BMW has made in a while. BMW used to attract people who liked to "drive" and could appreciate sharp handling, etc.

Less "posh" than Mercedes, but was more connected to the road. All that went out the window with the F series chasis, but a lot of us still leased / bought those out of loyalty to the brand... at least until we test drove model 3s.

The negatives coming from a 335 to the model 3 are more around things like road noise, rattles, and feeling of luxury. The Model 3 is very spartan no matter how you look at it. You get used to it pretty quickly, however, and now I cant stand to drive my wifes 2019 X3 M40i which we custom ordered with every option offered except for a trailer hitch. I really liked it when we got it, now I cant stand to drive it.

You will miss the exhaust note, and might miss the fit and finish, thats about it (imo).

While the exhaust note is nice on all the Model 3's the motor noises, heard from outside the car, sound like ass.
Clicks, hisses, tapping sounds. Overall it sounds like crap.

Did you mean the BMW Series 3 or Tesla Model 3 exhaust note?;)

Elon & co painted a big bulls-eye on BMW when they named the car the Model 3.

FWIW, the worst noise I hear in the 335 is creaking. The chassis flexes so much it creaks at the doors at the sight of a bump and jump 2 feet sideways if you hit a pothole.

While the exhaust note is nice on all the Model 3's the motor noises, heard from outside the car, sound like ass.
Clicks, hisses, tapping sounds. Overall it sounds like crap.
Matter of opinion. Those who were fans of the v8 M3 always moan about the S55 but I like it in its own way. But I won’t miss the sound of an exhaust in the least when I pick up my M3P......whenever that may be......hear me Tesla.......going on 2 months here give a guy a break!!!

Hi,

We are looking at going from a BMW 335 to Model 3 LR. Has anyone done a similar transition? What would you say was the biggest change?

We also have an X, so are pretty use to EV operations. But the X is a big boat compared to the 335 or Model 3.

I went from a 2013 BMW 335i M sport to a model 3 performance. We ordered the 335 with every performance add on and none of the drivers assist because Im a real man (lol, then life happened and I should have bought all the drivers assists). Bought the 2013 F30 instead of the prev M3 due to the interior of the M cars being *sugar*. (Terrible cup holders).

Below are my thoughts regarding differences that come to mind.

-seats: BMW is firmer and sportier with proper bolstering. Model 3 is damn nice, but not sporty (I had the upgraded sport seats)

-Handling/ride: model 3 is in between the sport and normal handling of the magnaride. I really like it.
-Acceleration: Lol.
-Interior noise: comparable IMO
-interior fancy stuff. I thought I’d miss the HUD. I don’t. (I wouldnt complain if it returned)
-daily drive differences: I get more attention in the Tesla. Autopilot is epic even on surface streets (I use it so I don’t speed cause this car is very fast and it doesn’t feel it’s going as quick as it is).
-headlights: BMW has great headlights, until I drove the Tesla.

-best thing: Love not having to worry about a gas station stop during my 50 mile daily commute.
That’s what comes to mind.

Last edited:
If the BMW is an F30 (likely since you say 335), the model 3 has markedly better handling to go along with the torque. You will feel like you have a significantly faster car, even though its not "faster" top speed (which most never reach), and the 0-60 is not "that" much different.

There is a reason there are so many BMW folk littered around here, lol.

Look for a thread by @destructure00

He is a tesla model 3P owner now, but had a thread asking a similar question that had really good response. One of the reasons (in my opinion anyway) that BMW is getting its lunch money taken by tesla in the mid sized sport sedan market is because the model 3 is a "better BMW" than BMW has made in a while. BMW used to attract people who liked to "drive" and could appreciate sharp handling, etc.

Less "posh" than Mercedes, but was more connected to the road. All that went out the window with the F series chasis, but a lot of us still leased / bought those out of loyalty to the brand... at least until we test drove model 3s.

The negatives coming from a 335 to the model 3 are more around things like road noise, rattles, and feeling of luxury. The Model 3 is very spartan no matter how you look at it. You get used to it pretty quickly, however, and now I cant stand to drive my wifes 2019 X3 M40i which we custom ordered with every option offered except for a trailer hitch. I really liked it when we got it, now I cant stand to drive it.

You will miss the exhaust note, and might miss the fit and finish, thats about it (imo).

Here it is

Feedback from BMW or other premium brand converts?

Came from a 2016 340i M-Sport. Ordered it exactly how I wanted it. Came up on the 50k warranty expiration around the same time the P3D prices dropped around $10k. Decided to order myself a P3D, figured it would be some kind of compromise and while I would most likely be happy with it, I'd probably miss a part of the Beemer.

Nope.

I don't miss it at all. Like one bit. Like I've never even nostalgically said man I'd love to drive the BMW one more time just for fun. And I tend to develop emotional attachments to cars (not that kind, get your head out of the gutter). The Model 3 is the best car I've ever owned, hands down. Not that it's without minor issues, but I'd never go back. You couldn't pay me.

Do it.

Last edited:

What he said.

I’ve owned 10 BMWs, and still have an F30 330. Most were manuals, except for the wifemobiles.

The chassis is not quite as fun as my E46 ZHP, but I suspect I’m more stricken with nostalgia for that car.

Tesla wins, especially compared to the F3x and F2x. (I really hated my 228i. The turbo four with a 6 speed manual was a vile combination. Very little engine braking, weird inconsistent power from the motor. First car I felt was better with a slush box.)

One pedal driving and silent, instant power is fantastic.

Ok, let me add on to my post.

Decided to show the BMW some love, and I just took my 330 to the local spray wash. First ICE I’ve driven in since delivery 2 weeks ago.

JUST DO IT.

The noise. The sluggish acceleration. No regen. Vague steering.

P.S. It was a bit comical when I hopped in the car, hit the windshield wiper stalk, and, for a moment, wondered why nothing was happening. o_O

Elon & co painted a big bulls-eye on BMW when they named the car the Model 3.
Umm..... no. Tesla wanted to name it Model E, but Ford won that in a legal showdown based on 100+ years precedence.

While everyone else was busy competing against each other Tesla was busy making an insane car, leaving everyone so far behind in the EV segment they still haven't been able to catch up over a decade later. If anything Tesla left a bulls-eye on the Model 3, one which everyone is noticing.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Hi,

Well we went from a 535d with sport package so not much of a comparison but the biggest difference I personally noticed was the big s**t eating grin on my face as I thread the model 3 through just about anything I want with a surgical precision that was never available to me in any car that did not need kidney belts!

This combination of sporting and comfort is pretty sweet!

Reactions: jjrandorin
We were owners of five BMWs prior to the Model 3: Z3 2.8, 540i E39, 330i Coupe E36, 328i E90, 528i F10.

To me, the biggest difference is the instantaneous torque of the Model 3, which translates to quicker response. It's amazing. I also agree with the comment above regarding one pedal driving...it's pretty cool once you adapt to it (but it does take some practice...especially in Reverse).

You will notice the difference in interior quality and front seat comfort...which in my opinion are superior in the BMW 3 series (depending on which seats you had in the 335).

Also, you might miss having run flat tires; therefore you'll need to figure a plan for flat tire situations (whether Tesla Roadside Service, or after market compressor/plug kit, or after market spare tire/jack/tools).

You will not miss stopping to get gas. Nope. You won't miss that.

Last edited: