Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What to Look for When Seeing Used MS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been looking for months for a used MS with AP2 sold direct from Tesla using ev-cpo.com. I have had no luck finding a car matching my requirements, so started looking elsewhere. I've been talking to a Mercedes Benz dealer about a 2016 MS 60D they have on their lot, and will be making a two hour drive next week to see it.

My question to all of the experts in this forum, what should I look for when I see the car beyond the normal stuff on an ICE car (i.e. tires, brake pads/rotors, body condition, interior condition)?

Some things I've thought of, along with some more questions:
  1. Degradation of the battery. (How can I tell?)

2. Was the battery upgrade done to 75 kwh? (From that the dealer told me, I don't think so, but want to confirm, but how? Will it state "75D" on the display and/or MCU?).

3. Does it have AP, EAP, and/or FSD software installed? (Built Nov 2016, and I've confirmed it has hardware v2 via the number of cameras, but how do I check for AP, EAP, FSD?)

4. Does it include free supercharging? (I've read a lot about when that was discontinued, but have read it was based on the build date, others say the delivery date, still others say order date. So how can I tell by examining the car itself to determine if it has free supercharging?)

5. Should I request it be taken to a Tesla service center to be checked out? Will Tesla even do that since being sold by a MB dealer, and what might the cost be (if anyone has ever done that)?
What else should I be looking for?

1) you can get indication by charging to 100% and comparing against original amount you prob need few charges but this is impractical when looking at a car in dealer lot

2) not all 60s had the software lock some where truly 60s

3) check the menu to see if you have autopilot , nav on AP ..unless the dealer did software upgrades also hard to say as well not sure how long car has been on lot

4) 2016 should have free SC ..although at one point 60s had to pay for SC upgrade than became unlimited ..only Tesla can tell if u have this option or car came with

Not sure what your price point is ..but give serious consideration to 75 batt ..the 60s have slower SC speeds ..given age there may be degradation already which limits range ..in practice you probably couldn’t get 150 miles range on a 90% charge on a 60

4) 2016 should have free SC ..although at one point 60s had to pay for SC upgrade than became unlimited ..only Tesla can tell if u have this option or car came with

I chatted with Tesla support and provided the VIN. I was told since I'm not the owner, they cannot give out an info on the car. Told them it is being sold be a dealer, but they still said no info can be given. Very frustrating.

Not sure what your price point is ..but give serious consideration to 75 batt ..the 60s have slower SC speeds ..given age there may be degradation already which limits range ..in practice you probably couldn’t get 150 miles range on a 90% charge on a 60

Okay, how can I tell if it's a software locked 60 that can be upgraded to 75 versus a true 60 battery that cannot be upgraded? Could be a deal breaker.

Didn't realize a 60 would charge slower using a SC. I realize besides battery size and age, lots of other factors determine range (i.e. speed, ac/heat running, driving habits, etc.), but getting only 150 miles might cause me some range anxiety, especially since this will be my first EV. Might have to rethink this car.

Any other thoughts from anyone? Thanks!

If you ask the dealer for the registration plate number, or the vin number, then phone Tesla and ask them the full spec, they'll tell you if it is 60 or 75, if it has autopilot etc.

Yeah, I tried that, but no dice. As I stated above, Tesla told me since I don't own the car, they cannot give out any info. Do you know of a way to get them to provide info? (I used online chat with support).

Another easier option is to turn on video recording on your phone and slide it underneath
That’s how I checked mine, I just took a video
Brilliant idea using video. I did that when I saw the car yesterday, and determined it to be a 75 kwh battery, but car is software limited to 60 at the moment.

I did end up purchasing this car. Thanks to all who made suggestions on what to look for.

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA