Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What USB are you using for sentry mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I can’t seem to fix my issue with my usb drive. I tried formatting it through the option from the car, that didn’t work. So I tried formatting it to fat32 on my computer, that didn’t work as well. It doesn’t save the recordings, however I get the sentry mode notification when I step in the car.

I can’t seem to fix my issue with my usb drive. I tried formatting it through the option from the car, that didn’t work. So I tried formatting it to fat32 on my computer, that didn’t work as well. It doesn’t save the recordings, however I get the sentry mode notification when I step in the car.

I was having trouble going a sd card with usb adapter to work in my car. I ended up getting a Samsung t5 ssd drive, it's worked great for me.

You need to create a folder named 'TeslaCam' as well

What slot? The type C on the left (driver's) side? Or the type A on the right (passenger) side?

That type A is only USB 2.0 and only capable of 500 mA, just in case that drive is power hungry or not happy with USB 2.0 Have you tried a USB hub in between, to see if the hub will buffer the connection and make both happy?

What slot? The type C on the left (driver's) side? Or the type A on the right (passenger) side?

That type A is only USB 2.0 and only capable of 500 mA, just in case that drive is power hungry or not happy with USB 2.0 Have you tried a USB hub in between, to see if the hub will buffer the connection and make both happy?

type A (passenger side). The Samsung usb I have right now is backward compatible to USB 2.0

Yes but not every implementation of USB 2.0 is identical. That is something you will find out the more you deal with this stuff, I do low level hardware and firmware for a living, and while there are USB standards, not all implementations are the identical. There could be some timing or driver issues, or some peak power requirement when writing that exceeds what USB 2.0 can deliver. Many different reasons why it may not work. That is why I asked if you have tried a USB hub in between, which can iron out any timing and interface issues, should that be the problem you are experiencing. If you have a USB 3.0 hub, try that.

Also that drive is dual interface right? It can do USB type A and C? If so, have you tried the C interface to the driver's side port? That means unplugging the wireless charging pad, but you could try it anyway just to see.

Finally have you tried a reboot to see if that helps? Either the soft dual steering wheel reboot, or the hard brake pedal + dual steering wheel button.

There is also formatting with exFAT that you can try... Good luck with it.

I have a WD Blue SSD on USB C side just for sentry and videos, and a normal Sandisk USB 2.0 thumb drive on the A side for music. I do not use the wireless charging pad.

There is also formatting with exFAT that you can try... Good luck with it.

I have a WD Blue SSD on USB C side just for sentry and videos, and a normal Sandisk USB 2.0 thumb drive on the A side for music. I do not use the wireless charging pad.

tried exFAT format, that didn’t work as well. What’s really strange is that the car does read the usb in both formats, because I do see the little camera indicator at the top right of the screen. I also tried testing the honk and nothing records.

Reboot the car. I think there was a post from somebody else like that... Worth a try. But if reading and not writing, could be power related and not enough current (only 500mA from USB 2.0), which is why I asked if you could use it on the USB C side some how, where there are no power issues like that. If not directly, do you have a USB C hub you could try.

Does your car save anything at all? Like it's supposed to save the last hour footage of driving. If you click the camera on the top right, do you have the DashCam Viewer option? If selected can you view any dashcam footage?

I use a Samsung T5 1tb drive with hopefully a soon to be Juda Hub if they would ever ship the thing. I plug it into the USB-A outlet.

Make sure you have an entry added to define your HOME location
No Dashcam icon or USB detection...EVER...anyone else have and solve this?

If still having trouble...

Can you place some music files (.flac or .mp3) on that USB drive and play them? If that fails, does it work for another USB drive formatted as FAT32 or exFAT? Trying to establish a baseline, make sure data transfer is working okay on that drive and your car. Should work okay, but just a quick sanity check.

Also I saw some user reviews about various Samsung USB thumb drives and not working for others. What else can you try it in?

No chance there is some read-only attribute being set on that partition by your PC? Or any mechanical switch on that drive for write protect?

Are you trying to use the same USB drive for recording video and music playback? I've read somewhere that is not a good idea. Perhaps the drive/partition gets mounted as read only for music playback and that screws up any write attempts. Make sure you are trying with this drive dedicated to only video saving, nothing to do with music. You can set up dual partition to use single USB drive for both music and video recording, but I'd rather use separate, just in case writing has some issue and you end up corrupting that drive.

Finally there is a thread by somebody else who had similar issues, perhaps there is something useful in there... No Dashcam icon or USB detection...EVER...anyone else have and solve this?

Does your car save anything at all? Like it's supposed to save the last hour footage of driving. If you click the camera on the top right, do you have the DashCam Viewer option? If selected can you view any dashcam footage?

I use a Samsung T5 1tb drive with hopefully a soon to be Juda Hub if they would ever ship the thing. I plug it into the USB-A outlet.

Yeah I have the dash viewer option, but there is nothing in there.

Make sure you have an entry added to define your HOME location
No Dashcam icon or USB detection...EVER...anyone else have and solve this?

If still having trouble...

Can you place some music files (.flac or .mp3) on that USB drive and play them? If that fails, does it work for another USB drive formatted as FAT32 or exFAT? Trying to establish a baseline, make sure data transfer is working okay on that drive and your car. Should work okay, but just a quick sanity check.

Also I saw some user reviews about various Samsung USB thumb drives and not working for others. What else can you try it in?

No chance there is some read-only attribute being set on that partition by your PC? Or any mechanical switch on that drive for write protect?

Are you trying to use the same USB drive for recording video and music playback? I've read somewhere that is not a good idea. Perhaps the drive/partition gets mounted as read only for music playback and that screws up any write attempts. Make sure you are trying with this drive dedicated to only video saving, nothing to do with music. You can set up dual partition to use single USB drive for both music and video recording, but I'd rather use separate, just in case writing has some issue and you end up corrupting that drive.

Finally there is a thread by somebody else who had similar issues, perhaps there is something useful in there... No Dashcam icon or USB detection...EVER...anyone else have and solve this?

I’ve ordered a couple of other usb and I’ll see how those work. I was hoping this would be just a simple plug and play

I have the exact USB drive the manual suggests and states is compatible with sentry/dash cam.

However, every couple of drives I will get a notification stating the USB drive is too slow. Not sure why they would state in the manual its tested and then have it still throw up error notifications.