Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

what was the indicated battery range on a new plaid - trying to understand battery wear without ODB access

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Im thinking of buying a Plaid and I brought my ODB adapter for my old MS but it didnt fit :-(
Now trying to approximate. Previously you could multiply the right with the left numbers on the battery range and get something but now its some new menu that I dont recognize.

Anyway we charged to 93% and then it says 490km indicated battery. Calculating backwards I then get it would indicate 526km when fully charged. That is 327 miles.
Now I wonder what does a fairly new Plaid indicate ? I suspect it doesnt indicate the 600km that Tesla says or does it and this car has this lost 12.5% of its battery capacity?

I know what you are talking about with the energy screen however it's different on the refresh.

I can only tell you the range new and current that I've experience in our Plaid MX if that helps. Purchased new in August 2023 and now with 18K miles.

1716398132285.png

I know what you are talking about with the energy screen however it's different on the refresh.

I can only tell you the range new and current that I've experience in our Plaid MX if that helps. Purchased new in August 2023 and now with 18K miles.

View attachment 1049594
nice! that is a better explanation than ever , but unfortunately Im used to the old energy menu (as the one on the instruction) and I didnt have time to figure it all out.
Very helpful thanks! Just hoping anyone else with a MS Plaid can share their new range as well? or "old" range is actually very helpful as well

In 2021 it seems like the rated ranges was 348miles and 402miles for MS Plaid with respective wheels.
I believe but I am not sure it hasnt changed until year model 2024 (because of new rules not hardware changes)

At least according to Car&Driver
"Plaid's 348-mile EPA-estimated range. It's also tied with the Porsche Taycan as the EV with the second-longest range result we've ever tested, coming in behind the Model S Long Range, which is EPA estimated at 402 miles and traveled 320 miles in our test, the only EV ever to crest 300 miles."

And further on they write that, Plaid uses
"a 99.3-kWh lithium-ion battery pack provides the juice. The Model S Long Range uses a 103.9-kWh pack"

... that is new to me. I knew that Palladium used a more lightweight and smaller battery compared to previous versions but not that Plaid and LR had different sized batteries

Another thing I am unsure about is if there is any difference in the Tesla range calc in the US and overseas. I suspect it is not suddenly using WLTP just because it is situated in the EU. I am presuming it is using EPA range worldwide. Translated into km.

Next thing to discuss is this article as it is interesting in regards to the current subject.
This would stipulate that the battery SOC (if set to display range) directly translates into (EPA range ) x (battery degradation) = (SOC in range) ....in the case you charge to 100% because otherwise this special formula they are discussing in the article is actually playing with you.
Important observations:
  • With the SOC display set to percentage then what you see is the percentage in relation to available capacity after degradation.
  • SOC display set to range is in other words not the same as the true range that you get when navigating. In other words SOC-range is not in any way affected by your driving style.
  • Already mentioned but for clarity again: One will not get an fully accurate answer if charging to 90% and then calculate backwards, you need to charge to 100%. This because Car&Driver found it is a linear deviation depending on the battery degradation. But of course if viewing a car like me it would give you at least some indication.

For me it is kind of an insight as now I understand people complaining about the range is not true. This is simply because they use the SOC set to range instead of percentage. I have always found the range predictions you get during navigation to be scaringly true to life, at least after some updates they did in 2021.
Anyway to conclude it all. To find the battery degradation on a used car (when not having a suitable ODB device one may.
  • multiply data like shown here Calculating Your Battery's Estimated Capacity Using the Car's Energy Screen but it requires you to know where to find it in the updated interface + you need to be able to take a ride with the car
  • Charge to 100%, set SOC to show miles/km (you find it together with configuration of displayed units
  • If not able to charge to 100% the uncertainty increases with an decreased rate of SOC. Lets say a rule of thumb would be to charge above 80%
Comparison list of as new EPA range (Please correct me if anything is wrong )
Palladium

### Tesla Model S (MS)
- **2021-2023 MS Plaid 21" wheels:** 348 miles / 560 km
- **2021-2023 MS Plaid 19" wheels:** 402 miles / 647 km
- **2021-2023 MS LR 21" wheels:** 375 miles / 604 km
- **2021-2023 MS LR 19" wheels:** 405 miles / 652 km

### Tesla Model X (MX)
- **2021-2023 MX Plaid 21" wheels:** 333 miles / 536 km
- **2021-2023 MX Plaid 19" wheels:** 351 miles / 565 km
- **2021-2023 MX LR 21" wheels:** 332 miles / 535 km
- **2021-2023 MX LR 19" wheels:** 348 miles / 560 km

And for anyone out there shopping a used 2024 Palladium (or in the case tesla might fiddle with the software because of the EPA changes):

### Tesla Model S (MS) - 2024
- **2024 MS Plaid 21" wheels:** 320 miles / 515 km
- **2024 MS Plaid 19" wheels:** 359 miles / 578 km
- **2024 MS LR 21" wheels:** 382 miles / 615 km
- **2024 MS LR 19" wheels:** 405 miles / 652 km

### Tesla Model X (MX) - 2024
- **2024 MX Plaid 21" wheels:** 300 miles / 483 km
- **2024 MX Plaid 19" wheels:** 326 miles / 525 km
- **2024 MX LR 21" wheels:** 322 miles / 518 km
- **2024 MX LR 19" wheels:** 335 miles / 539 km

So in previous post I concluded one needs to charge to 100% to avoid this secret linear formula that Tesla is using found by Car and Driver.
What if we had this secret formula that allegedly is dependent on the degradation (which we are trying to find). Then it would be ridiculously easy to calculate degradation.
I got the idea to ask chatgpt to find an equation and also to try and find observations to solve the secret formula but it was not possible. At least it made a formula shown below. In which L equals the secret formula. The only thing missing now is to make a list of observations of SOC_km , SOC_perc and D. Ideally with battery at working temperature as perhaps SOC_perc might be affected by temp.
Anyone feeling like sharing one or more measurements , remember D degradation must be known (either by ODB data or by charging to 100% recently)
The assumed L below of 0.05 is probably not correct
finding L.png