Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery size/screen indication is wrong?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi there,

I'm about 4 months in to my new 2023 Model X (non plaid). I previously had an Hyundai Ionic 5, and we also have the Cadillac Lyric in the family, so I'm not totally new to EV's just Tesla. I bought the X with one of the large reasons being the range, coupled with faster and more reliable charging over the Caddy/Ionic. What I've been finding is that my range seems terribly lower than what I was hoping to get. At first I didn't understand the watt/mile as I'd gotten used to mile/KW (what the Ionic display showed), but I'm getting used to it, and now I understand the math behind it etc... Here's my issue. The math isn't adding up for me. Please help me make sense of this, or let me know why I'm wrong :)
If the battery is 98-100KWH, and let's say I'm averaging 300watts/mile on the current change. Then (we use 98 to be conservative) 98KW*1000 = 98,000 watts. 98,000/300 = 326 miles of range. Is that correct? And if so, that's just math, it already takes things like speed, climate, hills etc.. into account bc that's baked into my 300w/mi average.

My current drive is this: fully charged to 100%. I've driven 235 miles at an average 288Wh/Mile. I've used 68kWh of energy and I have 11% battery left.
So 235/89 = X/100 = 235*100/89=X ... X = 264 miles of total range on this charge. Which seems normal, until you calculate for my 288Wh/Mil average.

Also, I've used 68kWh of energy and I've got 11% remaining. I haven't done the math on that, but if I fully drain down to 0%, it isn't going to be anywhere near 98kW.. it'll be more like 80Kw...

So what gives? Did I get some random smaller battery, is my display just completely calculating wrong? I've called Tesla 3 times about this, and they don't care about the math, they just say that my range is in the acceptable amount....

Love to hear what people who know more than me have to say!!!

Thanks
Justin

Your average consumption for drives is only that, energy used while the car is in Drive. If you'Ve done these 235 miles of dribing in multiple drives, there's probably a significant amount of energy that you've spent preconditioning or otherwise using heating etc that isn't accounted in that single value.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
I do have everything turned off that can be turned off, but you do make a good point.
That being said, even if all those "car off, but using battery" features were on, wouldn't they be accounted for in the 68kWh used, which then goes back to the 11% remaining = not 100kWh part of the issue? Or does the 68 number only account for battery used while driving?
I hope I'm making sense, but I have 2 different calculations that are backing up my theory that something isn't right. First being the long math equation, and the second being that I'm very close to being depleted, and only used 68kWh when that should be like 88-90kWh.
If battery = 98-100kWh then 11% (what I have remaining) would be 10-11kWh. Even at that rate for the remainder, if you add 11 to 68 you get 79, not 100.
So either way you look at it, I'm down about 20%.

Thanks
Justin

The reason I'm very concerned now, is that I have a 1000 mile (each way) road trip planned in the near future, and some of the driving will be where I need all the range I can get where chargers are scarce. And that 20% deficit is going to be a huge issue.

If the car reports an average of 288wh/mile then that's exactly the amount of energy that it used during those drives, while the car was in D (Drive). The energy application can help you understand where that energy went if you're curious. All energy spent outside of Drive, for example as you are parked but in the car waiting for someone and using the AC, when you precondition the car using the app, when you leave Sentry on, when you often start the mobile app (which wakes the car up) etc... ALL of that is NOT part of the energy in drive. I believe there's a section in the energy app for "energy spent in park". You should have a look at that too.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H

Here’s a refresh Model X with 10K miles.

Kyle was able to pull 93 kWh out of it in one continuous drive. It read 0% for about 3 kWh at the end. If it was brand new, he might have been able to get 95+ kWh. Initial degradation happens fairly quick and then plateaus.

Tesla usually has a buffer at the bottom, but don’t always count on it.

Or does the 68 number only account for battery used while driving?
It depends. Where are you getting that number from? If you are seeing it on the display card that reports numbers that are titled, "Since last charge", then that is what @GtiMart was saying. That counter is only active while the car is in Drive gear, which is counting values that will show the 68 kWh. There would be significant extra energy used while the car is parked and overnight and idle consumption, etc. etc.
I've driven 235 miles at an average 288Wh/Mile.
And I think for this part too. If you are reading that 288 wh / mile from the display, that is probably just from the driving portion. The extra energy from sitting idle probably isn't included, so the overall effective efficiency number is worse than that, while is was consuming watt hours for 0 miles.

The reason I'm very concerned now, is that I have a 1000 mile (each way) road trip planned in the near future, and some of the driving will be where I need all the range I can get where chargers are scarce. And that 20% deficit is going to be a huge issue.
I love puzzling out challenging routes, and many others here do too. I would think we could crowdsource some recommendations for this if you can tell what the approximate route is. But also, this is kind of self-solving. We are talking about how there is some extra lost energy not available for driving because of the car sitting parked for sections of time over several days. That's not going to be the case for a continuous trip. You are going to be driving, so it's not going to have 8 or 12 hour times of energy loss, and the car is going to be staying pretty warm, so there won't be much of those times of intense heating consumption from when the car was cold, parked for hours.

I have kind of a two or three step thing for looking at a route:
1. Check either the car's nav or www.supercharge.info to see if the route is on regular interstates that do have Supercharger coverage the whole way. If so, then it's fine, and no need to check.

2. If there is a gap that's too big, then I check if there is maybe a slightly different path that is a little longer but sticks to Supercharger coverage, or I start looking at that gap on www.plugshare.com. Plugshare is about the most up to date and comprehensive map of all kinds of charging resources. So there may be something to fill in an intermediate place to bridge you to get to the next Supercharger.

Thanks guys. I had seen that video before from Kyle, which is one of the reasons I chose this car over keeping my Ionic 5. I guess I'll see what it does on the continuous drive I have upcoming, but I don't have a good feeling going into it. I don't use battery preconditioning (that I'm aware of), and everything else is turned off... so I can't imagine it using much while parked, compared to the summer time when yes, I had cabin temp protection running and it was eating the battery like I eat chocolate cake!!! But not now...
I guess time will tell.
I'll def look at the energy used while in park next time I'm in the car!
Thanks
Justin

for what it’s worth, I have a 2018 model X P100d that has the same issue. I have a flat 46 mile, all freeway route that I drive weekly. The percentage of battery used is usually 30% more than the number you get if you multiply wh/m by miles driven based on 100kw pack. This is all calculated on a single trip, no starts and stops, it’s just under 1 hour. I done this dozens of times any the results are the same. On the same route my 2018 Model 3LR, is accurate to 1-2%, of the stated wh/m average.

On a separate note the model X From 100% to 10% charge on a single freeway trip with autopilot at 65 mph trip the wh/m average multiplied by miles driven suggested 59kw used. Which roughly suggests a 65kw battery size not 100kw.

OP, what does the consumption app does in PARK for you? My less than 2 months old MXLR went through a week where it sucked up a ton of energy during park. I drove 100 miles in a span of a week or so and the car consumed more than 100 miles during that period. It’s settled down since then.