Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will happen to CT in a severe frontal or side impact?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sandy Munro basically said it is just a matter of engineering. He fore saw no problems.

A possible engineering solution might be from ZF - just google it.
ZF external air bags

And of course must pass tests to even offer to the public - Has to meet safety standards.

@Albern; You did a fantastic job of possible engineering solutions. Thank you.

So f Tesla keeps following their trend, every new model does even better in crash test.
Model S, Model X, Model 3 - the 3 safest tested vehicles so far and it seems Model Y will do even as Sandy Munro has already pointed out (note: the Tusk and stronger/thicker steel front) and cross member supports in both front & rear - rear is aluminium joining to the steel side mounts)

I look forward to the CyberTruck being second safest only to a tank. :eek::rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Albern
I assume Tesla knows what they're doing as far as crash safety is concerned. They have demonstrated that with previous vehicles.

I think flat stainless steel panels will be cheaper than shaped and painted steel/aluminum panels. The CT might be much cheaper to repair than a normal pickup. Of course integrating a new panel into a stress-bearing exoskeleton might bring the cost back up, so who knows?

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I assume Tesla knows what they're doing as far as crash safety is concerned. They have demonstrated that with previous vehicles.

I think flat stainless steel panels will be cheaper than shaped and painted steel/aluminum panels. The CT might be much cheaper to repair than a normal pickup. Of course integrating a new panel into a stress-bearing exoskeleton might bring the cost back up, so who knows?

The major cost nowadays of repairing a vehicle after a collision is the paint.

No paint, therefore faster and cheaper repairs.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
This guy did an analysis of how the Cybertruck design could work in absence of traditional crumple zones. He did a neat proof of concept but I wish he could have included g-force rate reductions.

That's a really interesting idea. It'd make it easier to give a consistent result on the hard test like the small offset, because the shell can be really solid and stiff and transfer the loads evenly from any hit, and the internal crumple zone will deliver the same softening for any crash.