Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What will I be getting?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

I placed an order for a Model Y Long Range back in March. The delivery estimate changed a lot and now says Novemember-January (2023). A week ago or so it said (April-June, 2023).

I've been reading about the "new" model Y, the "AWD" that's built in Texas. However, if I understand correctly, this model uses the newer batteries and has a shorter range. I don't see this listed on Tesla's site, so I am worried now that I'll be getting one of these and it'll have a range around 275mi vs 330mi.

My main question now is, how do I know exactly what I am getting and if I am down for a Texas Model Y, can I opt not to have that?

Thanks in advance,

You will get a Long Range unless you decide to change to the "standard range" AWD model. It's possible that by the time you get delivery you will be getting a MY long range using the new batteries and the updated chassis, but with a higher capacity battery pack than what Tesla is putting in the standard range AWD model that Tesla is now offering to only a limited number of customers.

I don't think we have a choice to pick the one we want. If you want the updated one, you might have to defer your delivery to end of 2022 or start of 2023. I picked up MYLR 2 days ago and the guy next to me is a giga factory employee who told me this.

All MYLR's use a 2170 battery pack. The Austin LR model has a cargo cover but otherwise it's the same as Fremont-built MYLR (same range, same features, same battery system, etc). Only the shorter-range MY (built only in Austin) is based on 4680 structural battery pack but you would need to opt in, and even then, only if they offered it to you as an option (you won't find this model on the Model Y configurator page).

There's no way to choose where your car is manufactured, between Austin and Fremont, but... if you ordered an MYLR, that's what you'd be getting.

Reactions: NoGasNoBrakes
You're reading way too much into this. You ordered a Tesla Model Y Long Range, advertised with 330mi range. That is what you'll be getting. You're not going to get an inferior car with 280mi of range. Now there is a chance you might get a car with MORE range if Tesla "discontinues" the current Long Range Model Y.

Reactions: E90alex
I would definitely not want a 280 mi range car when I ordered a 330 mi range one, but if updates are being made to the same model car I ordered, I would want those. Like I would want an updated chassis and the most up to date battery (as long as the range stays the same or better)…

I think we should definitely be able to chose. Why can’t we? Instead of choosing I guess we can defer?

What would the pros be of a model y standard range with the newer battery?
You can’t choose because 4680 LR does not exist. And even if it did, Tesla has no incentive to differentiate between 2170 LR and 4680 LR if they are going to sell both concurrently because then no one will want the 2170.

The pros of the new battery so far is just to be able to brag to internet Tesla nerds that you have the new battery. There is not really any tangible benefit currently and it is inferior to the LR with the “old battery” since it has less range and less performance.

Reactions: Bob2C
I would definitely not want a 280 mi range car when I ordered a 330 mi range one, but if updates are being made to the same model car I ordered, I would want those. Like I would want an updated chassis and the most up to date battery (as long as the range stays the same or better)…
You are not going to be switched to a different car without being asked.
It will only show up in your account if you chose the option to be offered alternatives when you started filling out the various forms on your phone.
Assuming that, then if there are Y-AWD's available they will show up when you check your account on the website. I had many Y-AWDs offered but they weren't close enough to our config and I didn't want the reduced range. Even less likely now the price has gone up.
The Austin built Y-AWD has not been offered as a selectable configuration on the regular Tesla website, its only been offered to folks as an alternative or to be picked as an inventory car. They aren't being built in sufficient number yet.

Reactions: E90alex
Way overthinking your purchase. Just sit back, relax, when you get a VIN you’ll easily see what is available in your car. But until then you can’t request anything, all you can do is modify your car color, add a tow hitch etc, until then just relax knowing you have. Tesla coming one day! Good luck

I am confused. One of the previous replies mentioned that the price has gone up on the Y-AWD...

" I had many Y-AWDs offered but they weren't close enough to our config and I didn't want the reduced range. Even less likely now the price has gone up."

Also not sure how they were offered...

I am confused. One of the previous replies mentioned that the price has gone up on the Y-AWD...

" I had many Y-AWDs offered but they weren't close enough to our config and I didn't want the reduced range. Even less likely now the price has gone up."

Also not sure how they were offered...
He’s referring to the SR version.

You should prob stop worrying like others have mentioned. You are months, prob even a year away before delivery.