Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What would “normal” tire pressure be

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

mswlogo

Aug 27, 2018
NH
I’m curious. What would an ICE manufacturer suggest for tire pressure for this size and weight vehicle?

36 lbs on the 18”

Also if tire pressure does make such a huge difference why wouldn’t ICE manufacturers suggest a higher mpg pressure?

Be kind of nice if both ICE and EV
Suggested Comfort, Handling and Economy pressures.

I have put a few pounds over on my ICE vehicles for economy reasons.

My S4 had two different pressures, one for full load and one for normal. Normal was 39 front and 33 rear and full load was 41 all around. 18 inch wheels with 40 aspect tires.

I would guess the model 3, if it was ICE, would still be high because the tires are so stretched they need the extra pressure to combat all that weight. So I will say 38.

Reactions: mswlogo
My S4 had two different pressures, one for full load and one for normal. Normal was 39 front and 33 rear and full load was 41 all around. 18 inch wheels with 40 aspect tires.

I would guess the model 3, if it was ICE, would still be high because the tires are so stretched they need the extra pressure to combat all that weight. So I will say 38.

Thanks for the info. The model 3 dual motor is only about 200lbs heavier than an S4. RWD M3 is just about the same weight as the S4.

Tire pressures are typically listed on a sticker inside the Drivers door, and for the Aero Wheels on the P3D it shows 42psi. Mine was delivered at 45psi. Im about to back it off a few pounds for better traction, and my poorly maintained roads around here.

I wasn’t asking what’s on the door sticker ;). I was curious how much pressure Tesla adds over normal comfort/handling range of similar cars to improve efficiency. I often added a few pounds to door sticker on ICE vehicles.

I tried 38 lbs today for grins. Warning popped up on every wheel. I think the warning threshold is right at 38 lbs.

Mine was delivered with exactly 42 lbs cold and I put it back.

I used 40/45 PSI for my 2001 Porsche 911, 40/40 for our 2009 Mini S, and 36/38 for our 2001 BMW 540i, allowing a couple of PSI extra to avoid filling them all the time. None of them weigh close to my Model X. I'd say Tesla is pretty close to normal.

The only thing I try to do with tire pressure is keep the tire wear even (or get maximum grip at times). Under filling for comfort or overfilling for efficiency on a regular basis could be costly and degrade performance.

I keep our Model S tires near 50 psi. Absolutely even treadwear at 1 year service with 11,000 miles, more than half at 50 psi.

Trying 50 psi in the Model 3. 1,100 miles in first 10 days, too soon to tell about treadwear.

+4:)
I always start 2 psi below the maximum as stated on the tire and then read the tires going forward to see what, if any, changes I need to make. To me, reading the door sticker or listening to a CEO regarding tires pressures is quite amusing.

+4:)
I always start 2 psi below the maximum as stated on the tire and then read the tires going forward to see what, if any, changes I need to make. To me, reading the door sticker or listening to a CEO regarding tires pressures is quite amusing.

I find it amusing when folks use the Max pressure off the tire and ignore the door sticker. The door sticker isn’t cast in stone but it’s the best place to start.

That said, one thing though the Door sticker doesn’t / can’t do is predict temperatures you’ll be running in. So living in the northeast I can often go higher than door sticker. I also rarely travel highways during peak temperatures in the summer (I’m usually relaxing near water then).

I also don’t know how much temperature margin there is on the Max pressure labeled on the tire. I’ve never seen a tire go above Max (with door tag cold pressure or close to it). There might be no margin on that Max pressure. I’m sure you’ll get great mpg(e).

Reactions: rluciano
I don’t think it has anything to do with weights - the tires on my road bike are 125psi recommended and it weights 12lbs. It all depends on how their made and what they’re made for. I think it’s more if they’re low rolling resistance tires, they’re designed for higher pressures. My wife’s 2010 TDI’s door sticker recommended 44PSI for example, it weighs a lot less than any Tesla and it also came with low resistance tires, so I think that’s the common denominator. You can overinflate normal tires to help mileage, but they’ll deform and wear unevenly.

You can overinflate normal tires to help mileage, but they’ll deform and wear unevenly.
I agree, there is a point where higher pressure yields uneven treadwear. In my recent cars, I experiment to find my personal handling / economy / ride optimum. My wife and I prefer good handling and a firm ride. So far, preferred pressure has always been above the door-sticker recommendation. Tire tread wears evenly, too. Others report that higher pressures leave them with uneven treadwear.

At a highway trip break, I use the back of my hand on the sidewall to gauge each tire's temperature. If all the tires, or a pair of them, feel hot, that suggests excessive sidewall flex. I'll raise the air pressure 2 psi and check again at the next rest area. A single hot tire is a low air pressure, likely puncture warning.