Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How low do u run tire pressure for comfort

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m glad you asked this. I have been curious about this as well. I’ve always run lower than the recommended for ride comfort. I’m at 41 psi on my factory 19” wheels. Haven’t seen any ill effects at all in tire wear. I rotate fairly regularly and keep an eye on them.
i go back up to recommended pressure when going on any road trip where range may be a factor.

Not sure where you live but I'm pretty sure that's fairly close to the TPMS threshold before you start getting warnings. Once weather becomes colder here that would possibly trigger the low tire alert. I run higher pressures to optimize my efficiency so I'm usually around 42 on 20" wheels.

The most dangerous thing you can do with car tires is to run them at low pressure. They should not be lower than the recommended 42 PSI "cold." BTW, you have air suspension in the Model S so just set the ride to comfort.

The most dangerous thing you can do with car tires is to run them at low pressure. They should not be lower than the recommended 42 PSI "cold." BTW, you have air suspension in the Model S so just set the ride to comfort.

I think you mean to warn against running tires at TOO low of a tire pressure. Dropping tire pressure below the recommendation on the placard can be done for added comfort and for added traction (especially in sand, dirt, gravel, snow). Adding tire pressure at or slightly above the recommendation can be done when towing or carrying a heavier load, increasing efficiency (especially on the highway). Never exceed the maximum pressure printed on the tire sidewall. Typically I'd recommend somewhere between 38-46 PSI depending on what you're doing.

I think you mean to warn against running tires at TOO low of a tire pressure

How low it too low? From the link: “A tire blowout is the most dangerous risk associated with low tire pressure. “

for added traction (especially in sand, dirt, gravel, snow)

This is a special case since you are not running at highway speeds.

But personal choice of course. 😉

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Doesn't the TPMS warning change if you set the cold tire pressure where you want it, and then Calibrate TPMS using the control panel? This is the way it has worked with all my other cars. I agree that the suspension should be set to comfort instead of lowering tire pressure. Tesla spent alot of money to calibrate the cold tire pressure recomendations for both safety, comfort, and best tire wear. There are warnings everywhere about low tire pressure, plus not going over the maximum pressure listed on the tire sidewall.

I dont believe Tesla spent a lot of effort in tire pressure recommendation, yust high for high actiradius, and that comfort and gripp sucs then, they dont care about.

Did you have mayby indirect low pressure message in your former cars?
They can be reset even if you give all tires much to low pressure. They use ABS sensors to detect higher rotation speed of one wheel.

For tmps with sensors in the wheel, its yust what the programmer of the software for the receving unit, thought best. Some allow only a fixed low pressure allarm.
Then an update of software is only way to set a lower pressure allarm, mayby ilegal, so warranty of Tesla is voided.

Reactions: shthpnz
It's hard to read your message, but tpms in all other cars, you set the delta in calibrating YOUR chosen air pressure. When the pressure falls so many points, the display tells you you have a low tire. The delta is not programmed in by Tesla, but is set in the calibration process by the user.

Reactions: TLLMRRJ
I dont believe Tesla spent a lot of effort in tire pressure recommendation, yust high for high actiradius, and that comfort and gripp sucs then, they dont care about.

Did you have mayby indirect low pressure message in your former cars?
They can be reset even if you give all tires much to low pressure. They use ABS sensors to detect higher rotation speed of one wheel.

For tmps with sensors in the wheel, its yust what the programmer of the software for the receving unit, thought best. Some allow only a fixed low pressure allarm.
Then an update of software is only way to set a lower pressure allarm, mayby ilegal, so warranty of Tesla is voided.
So don’t understand any of what you wrote sorry.

Just look at the load inflation pressure tables to see how safely you can go. Here is one for the tires I am running on my Plaid. Look up the max axle weight for your car's weight (placard on car), divide by 2 and add a buffer to be safe. Then check the tire pressure you plan on running.

Tire Size26 psi29 psi32 psi35 psi36 psi38 psi41 psi42 psi
295/35R20 101 SL1393 lbs1521 lbs1647 lbs1768 lbs1819 lbs (101 SL)
295/35R20 105 XL1387 lbs1515 lbs1638 lbs1759 lbs1801 lbs1881 lbs1997 lbs2039 lbs (105 XL)