Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What3Words for Augmented Navigation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I did a quick forum search but didn't find mention of the navigation site what3words | Addressing the world in my results. I'm not sure how well known it is yet, so I suppose there's a small chance I'm the first to propose that Tesla incorporate what3words in the navigation system... but I doubt it.

For those who aren't aware and haven't checked the link, W3W is an algorithm that grids the planet into 3 metre squares, each addressed by a three word sequence... "electric.cars.rule" for example (actually resolves to a 100 square foot block in Eastern Russia). This is obviously superior to lat/long and Northing/Easting for memorization and general human-friendliness.

It would be nice if the Tesla Nav system could integrate this! Imagine being able to say 'navigate to electric dot cars dot rule' and have it resolve the exact location... This would certainly have the potential to improve geolocating superchargers and destination chargers too. Anyone who's circled the block in Las Vegas looking for the supercharger site hidden in the shadows of the building know exactly what I'm talking about... Extend that to finding someone in a big mall parking lot... you'd resolve down to half a parking stall, instead of the address of the mall and several acres of asphalt.

Given that the algorithm fits in 12 MB of space, it seems like it would be easy enough to incorporate...

Another Economist reader?

It would be nice to be able to pin down Supercharger locations with that amount of detail. Question for something like the Las Vegas example - would you list the address as the correct driveway (something like hired.unless.pace) or the actual location of one of the charging slots? Or would the nav be smart enough to find a viable route from one grid square to another?

Another Economist reader?

It would be nice to be able to pin down Supercharger locations with that amount of detail. Question for something like the Las Vegas example - would you list the address as the correct driveway (something like hired.unless.pace) or the actual location of one of the charging slots? Or would the nav be smart enough to find a viable route from one grid square to another?

I forget where I first saw this site, but it was before the date of that article. Probably a month ago or so. I put it in my 'look at more closely later' file and revisited it yesterday. I expect it's getting attention all over the place because it's really cool. The GIS guys in my office were raving after I gave a quick demo!

As far as the Vegas location goes... I'm not sure. I was experimenting with the what3words phone app and found that Navmii seems to integrate nicely. It looks like Navmii is able to provide step by step instructions from one square to another along roads without grumbling about them not being right *on* the roads. So you could probably use the actual stall locations and navigate successfully. I think that would infer that Tesla could do that same thing, especially if they're leveraging Google mapping to some extent. I guess I need to look at Google to see if they can use the what3words data as well. If they don't already, I expect they will be soon.

I love the concept!
Me too. The article wart linked above discusses using it to create addresses where none exist... Mongolia, Rio's shanty towns... It's surprising someone didn't think of this before now actually.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
That's cool. Personally, I look at Plugshare for the specific location of a Supercharger I haven't previously used. Using What3Words would make it even easier. It'd be a good addition to the Supercharger descriptions on Plugshare if it doesn't get incorporated into Tesla's navigation.

That's cool. Personally, I look at Plugshare for the specific location of a Supercharger I haven't previously used. Using What3Words would make it even easier. It'd be a good addition to the Supercharger descriptions on Plugshare if it doesn't get incorporated into Tesla's navigation.
Funny you mention Plugshare, because I sent an email to their contact address last night, asking if they would consider incorporating what3words into their location information. Like the Tesla data, Plugshare is pretty much at the mercy of the people uploading the data for new sites. I've found many that are extremely sketchy. Allowing users to add what3words to increase accuracy would be a big help.

Tesla has a habit of locating superchargers in obscure locations. Logically enough, since the landowner isn't likely to provide the primo land for this use! But finding them does sometimes feel like a geocaching adventure... with all the passengers looking out the windows for a glimpse of the red and white!

(will geocaching change with what3words??)

Yes, this looks intriguing and easier than street addresses which are not always in the city where the resident receives mail and confuses many navigation databases.

The Economist link wart provided is worth the read. Imagine trying to deliver mail to the slums of Rio, where the roads don't really exist officially or have names... much less street numbers on the shacks!

I'm glad the Economist article link was useful!

To clarify for those of you who may not have been to Las Vegas, NV:
The Supercharger station is inside a parking garage attached to an office building. The trick is finding the correct entrance into the parking garage. The official address is 701 Bridger Ave. but you actually have to enter from 8th St. Once you find the correct entrance (marked by a small red sign) it's easy to see the charger pedestals.

So if Tesla were using what3words, the directions to the Supercharger station would be something like "proceed to hired.unless.pace to enter the garage, then album.quick.amuse to charge."

Would be good for Amarillo, TX as well. Since there are TWO Holiday Inns within about 1/4 mile of each other, one of which has HPWC's and the other of which has Superchargers. Instead of 8231 West Amarillo Blvd, use waddled.returning.scorpion.

Reactions: Boatguy
So here we are over a year later... and no sign of What3Words coming to Tesla anytime soon. That's disappointing! Even more disappointing is that Mercedes seems to have been reading this thread, as they're implementing W3W into their navigation system!

Mercedes-Benz introduces the world’s first in-car 3 word address voice navigation system | what3words

With voice entry no less.

Also exchanged some emails with Plugshare, but other than interest, no action. I get the impression they're a very small group with limited resources.

Meanwhile, W3W is continuing to grow and find more uses. I don't see them disappearing, only growing.

It would be great to get Tesla interested in this...

Reactions: mblakele
So here we are over a year later... and no sign of What3Words coming to Tesla anytime soon. That's disappointing! Even more disappointing is that Mercedes seems to have been reading this thread, as they're implementing W3W into their navigation system!

Mercedes-Benz introduces the world’s first in-car 3 word address voice navigation system | what3words

With voice entry no less.

Also exchanged some emails with Plugshare, but other than interest, no action. I get the impression they're a very small group with limited resources.

Meanwhile, W3W is continuing to grow and find more uses. I don't see them disappearing, only growing.

It would be great to get Tesla interested in this...
5years on and Tesla still is not giving the option of w3w. Disappointed!!!