Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Computer meltdown - Navigation System Initializing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Lerxt

Feb 21, 2014
Australia
So I get back to my car after it being idle and plugged in for 24 hours at work.

It's hot. I unplug and get in the car and the screens come to life....I turn the aircon onto LO to cool the car down quickly.

Then I notice I'm in valet mode for some reason so I reboot the main screen and it comes back to life eventually but it now is not responsive to touch. ( this is a replacement screen for my original delaminated one, replaced about 3 months ago. ). I reboot again but the screen never comes up again, it stays black. I try driving it a short distance but it's clear the speedo is under reading dramatically.

I end up being left with the aircon blasting full cold, a dead screen and the aircon being unable to shut down even when the car is shut down, doors closed and me nowhere near it. And hour later the car is shut down but blasting full cold and still no screen. Tesla come and tow the vehicle to the service centre ( after much persuasion - it used to be so much better ) and replace the computer.

Great except now I have "Navigation System Initializating, please wait", when I try to navigate anywhere. The car position is ok but it can't navigate no matter how long I give it to initialize.

This is the second time I've had major problems out of service in a few months. I've had the car 2 ½ years and just about all of it has been replaced in service visits. Perhaps 12 visits in that time.

Any ideas on how to fix the nav? I'm loath to go through the endless wait for service again.

I had that similar nav issue, and it took a center stack replacement to solve it. The follow me car on the center map traced my route just fine by GPS positioning but nav commands didn't work, no destination requests, no turn by turn.. I also had no voice commands, music requests didn't work. New center stack solved it.

I take pains to make sure the center console is protected from direct sunlight / heat while parked.. I will change parking positions to make sure the sun can't hit it through a window, crack the windows open a bit... Computers don't like excessive heat. Use the new "overheat protection" Tesla added...

It would be cool (ha!) if Tesla routed coolant through the center stack instead of just air cooled it with fans.

Last edited:
Yes, the computer and screen combo was replaced as a single unit in my car to get nav working.

If after replacing the console in @Lerxt 's car introduced a non-working nav... it may be that it needs another console.

Oh, I meant to say something in my first post...

IF your car is non-responsive and have a stuck-on situation (like A/C blasting..) don't forget there are FUSES under the hood (if you can pop hood open, I guess) to start pulling to shut things down.

You can forcibly de-power many things... right now!