Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's an active bonnet?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bonnet is the hood. When the car senses it is going to hit a pedestrian, it raises the hood to increase the distance between the aluminum body and hard parts below. This increases the distance over which the aluminum can crumple before it hits something hard. In a nutshell, it aims to reduce the risk of serious injury to a pedestrian.

Check this video at 1:17. The clip starts late but you can see the hood is raised for the impact:

Last edited by a moderator:
I wouldn't have thought that the Tesla requires an active bonnet at all. After all, usually the issue isn't the bonnet itself but the solid motor block right underneath.

There's a significant aluminium and steel crash structure underneath, which could be harmful to a pedestrian. And anything heavy and imcompressible in the frunk (such as a spare tyre?) could also cause problems.

I could be wrong, but I think this is only on the currently shipping european models, but it was not on the cars before, and is not in the USA.

My theory is that only cars with a 7 in the restraint slot of the VIN have this. I don't believe anyone has had one of these vehicles delivered yet. They only started showing up in VIN assignments for European and Australian orders a few weeks ago. This might also be that Motor Trend's P85D frunk picture is missing the second latch.