Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's missing in this pic!? ...also a disconnected Customer Service experience.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
No roadster chargers at Rockville Service Center in MD. They tried to use my 110 adapter but their current wasn't comparable with my car so ..... No charging after service. Lucky I had enough to get home. Good service though and I did get a loaner P85.

How is hcsharp coming with the S to roadster ( or visa versa) adapter..... Can I order one now?
I am starting to believe that an adapter to allow us to plug into MS charger is becoming increasingly necessary. Maybe that is Teslas idea also!

Last edited:
The true issue with the charging is that Tesla has the bug in the Roadster's firmware that prevents the use of the Model-S charger. If I was Tesla I'd have a group of developers who'd fix that code, test it (which it should be pretty isolated), and then deploy it to those who want it. That way they don't need to install HPCs, legacy and pioneering roadster owners can still charge under the new and emerging infrastructure. Its like buying an iPhone or Kindle but then having the company leave you out in the cold saying... well if you want to use our New App store for the new devices you have to buy either a new device or use someone elses app store. You support your old customer base at least for a couple of generations.

Also the reason I parked that way is that it was a ghost-town when I arrived so park as you will. I also drove 1 hour to get to a destination that I didn't need to be at and had to backtrack due to lack of organization and poor planning. There was no need for that non-sense. So something is really broken where I didn't get any phone call or emails stating that my original appointment was now at menlo park again. Odd thing driving up the coastal highway I remember Tesla saying my appointment was at the new place... I had to dig up email that showed the new address.... If I'd forgotten all about that mail things would have worked out better for me. Not having a followup and notification on the appointment change is bad. If anyone likes to drive 30+ minutes out of the way, sit in stop and go traffic just to see Tesla's new crib than go ahead. I've got some errands I can have you run while you've got appointments to keep...

As for the CS experience... I've never seen anything like that. I've always had A+++ service and things worked out really well in the past that I would rave to all my friends who have ICE cars about the excellent service Tesla has. That was one thing that stood out I loved and adored from Tesla. I don't know if its a lack of resources that's the issue, the move that menlo park is currently going through, or the combination of both. Also I could see people doing the best they could, juggling things, only problem is that's not a solution... its one that'll fizzle out and burn people out their passions really fast. And that was the thing that was enjoyable showing up at MP, everyone there was passionate and believed in the Technology, and they were like family. I saw many new hires at MP today, but it seemed more like a cookie cutter ordeal.... like going to a fast food restaurant rather than your locally owned restaurant where people recognize your face and ask how life's going. Time will tell...

Last edited:
No roadster chargers at Rockville Service Center in MD. They tried to use my 110 adapter but their current wasn't comparable with my car so ..... No charging after service. Lucky I had enough to get home. Good service though and I did get a loaner P85.

Not only that but I heard they recently removed the Roadster HPC at Tyson's Corner store and replaced it with a HPWC. That was a good location for charging on road trips and now it's gone:mad:

How is hcsharp coming with the S to roadster ( or visa versa) adapter..... Can I order one now?
I am starting to believe that an adapter to allow us to plug into MS charger is becoming increasingly necessary. Maybe that is Teslas idea also!

I'm basically waiting for my machine shop to catch up on a backlog of work. I brought a couple of prototypes to TESLIVE and I have people beta testing them as we speak. Send me a PM to get on the waiting list.

So I had an appointment for my Roadster today, was sent to the new Tesla shop up in Burlingame, CA. They're in transition from moving up from Menlo park to there....
I read your thread about your bad service experience, I had a few things to share.

1) we've started a Bay Area tesla group
(will be combined with SteveHand's roadster group),

Silicon Valley (CA Bay Area) Tesla Club - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

One of our first events will be at the new Service center in Burlingame. It doesn't open until Aug 5th, but one of our members (GasDoc) is arranging a party. If 10-25 Tesla owners show up with food and party in hand, I'm sure they would be interested in getting your feedback and trying to make things right. Plus, GasDoc said there will be 4 charging stations there.

2) Another thread "Jerome" has contact info for Jerome, WW head of Tesla Service.
He made a commitment at Teslive to build the best service center, and told us to feel free to email him directly with feedback. You should also send him an email.

Jerome Guillen

Thanks Lorih, That's sounds like a great idea. I do feel Tesla does take the feedback seriously and have seen changes made in the right direction. Also lots of positive feedback should be directed their way... while I was at Menlo Park a person was dropping off his Model-S and he couldn't be more pleased and happy with the car. He had a big smile just talking to Tesla about it. Please keep me updated on the Burlingame party, that'd be great seeing other forum members and some of the Tesla Team.

So I had an appointment for my Roadster today, was sent to the new Tesla shop up in Burlingame, CA. They're in transition from moving up from Menlo park to there....

I read your thread about your bad service experience, I had a few things to share.

1) we've started a Bay Area tesla group
(will be combined with SteveHand's roadster group),

Silicon Valley (CA Bay Area) Tesla Club - Tesla Motors Club - Enthusiasts & Owners Forum

One of our first events will be at the new Service center in Burlingame. It doesn't open until Aug 5th, but one of our members (GasDoc) is arranging a party. If 10-25 Tesla owners show up with food and party in hand, I'm sure they would be interested in getting your feedback and trying to make things right. Plus, GasDoc said there will be 4 charging stations there.

2) Another thread "Jerome" has contact info for Jerome, WW head of Tesla Service.
He made a commitment at Teslive to build the best service center, and told us to feel free to email him directly with feedback. You should also send him an email.

Jerome Guillen

So I want to give an update, I'm not a person who typically gives negative feedback unless something can be learned from it and grow from it hence why I originally started this thread. Truth be told I should have more appropriately the title to read "disconnected customer service" rather than "bad customer service" for that the true issue was that there was too much going on for the amount of resources that Tesla had at that point of time.

One issue was that there was confusion on where I should have dropped off my car. This was a breakdown with the people who call the owners beforehand to remind them of the appointment. I never had a call. The reason we believed that happened was that I was the 2nd owner but that was no excuse Tesla said that I should have been contacted of the facility change.

Second issue was resources. When I arrived at Menlo Park everyone was overwhelmed, new employees to teach, cars coming in, and a move happening. That I feel is a problem that's rooted higher up with planning and resources. The issue is that the customer sees that, clearly sees it and it does not look professional. The employees are trying to cover the slack but the truth is its like trying to get one guy to handle the sails of a ship and steer at the same time during the heat of the storm... its overwhelming. And this can be prevented by proper planning and resources.

Third I was upset by no HPCs at the new Burlingame location. I understand to keep the new models and technology moving forward and there's going to be more Model S's on the Road that can benefit from them, but please add at least one HPC to support your roots. The Model S would not exist if Roadster owners didn't stick with Tesla through thick and thin as well as the hardships and triumphs. These Roadsters are not going to fall off the face of the earth for a long time, there's just so much love for them. I see it everyday from Spectators while stopping off to buy groceries, stopped at a stoplight with my top off and chatting up positive Tesla talk with a guy driving a V8 who just loves the car and technology. Its something I think we all love and should support for sure.

Lastly when I asked Tesla to reschedule my appointment since I saw it not going in the right direction they did. I indicated that I did want to have an electric loaner since I now depend on it. I really do, I don't feel as safe on the Road since I can have instant acceleration to get out of any danger plus the amazing handling, lack of having to go the the Petro station, and not to mention feeling fresh morning air heading into work or feeling the setting sun with the top off that I'm purely addicted to that I can no longer separate from. This is a good addiction that Tesla needs to understand they created and is thrived upon.

As for the Customer Service, it was back to the Customer Service that I loved and respected. Taking the time to give you the "Full" Tesla experience, one of education, passion, and love for the technology. There was even a new employee, that seemed to be too overdressed, but dress as you like... however he really didn't give off the "canned" car dealership experience but rather was himself sharing his passion for what he liked. That's real and that shows through and it was a good experience. I helped a friend at a Porsche dealership who had issues with the dealership to fix her car for constant lemon issues. She knew nothing and I've been wrenching on cars, motorcycles, and tractors since I've been 11 and now I'm 43, I can smell BS from a dealership a mile away... its not a pleasant smell nor experience. I don't want to see Tesla ever heading in that direction and voicing what you feel is good as long as you come back and state the positives and changes that occurred after the fact.

Any product a customer takes very personal is a very successful product, I've worked and helped bring a successful and world changing product to the consumer space. Its a really great thing and one that really empowers the "word of mouth" advertising that is the best and most truthful advertising that's out there. Its truthful advertising and that exactly what the customer wants.

To conclude the Telsa Customer Service that I always respected and enjoyed had always been there, however, like anyone keeping your cool and voicing your experience and voicing concerns directly to Tesla will have the best and corrective result with any disagreement you may have. They will try and for the most part correct it so it won't happen again. Truth is many customers it may be their only 1st time experience with Tesla so that's why Tesla has to get it right the 1st time around and stay consistent which I do believe is their ultimate goal.

Last edited:
Third I was upset by no HPCs at the new Burlingame location. I understand to keep the new models and technology moving forward and there's going to be more Model S's on the Road that can benefit from them, but please add at least one HPC to support your roots. The Model S would not exist if Roadster owners didn't stick with Tesla through thick and thin as well as the hardships and triumphs. These Roadsters are not going to fall off the face of the earth for a long time, there's just so much love for them. I see it everyday from Spectators while stopping off to buy groceries, stopped at a stoplight with my top off and chatting up positive Tesla talk with a guy driving a V8 who just loves the car and technology. Its something I think we all love and should support for sure.

It may have been mentioned upthread already but why isn't there a Roadster -> Model S adapter?