Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best insurance alternative to State Farm for a Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does insurance rate vary wildly from state to state? I’m getting quoted nothing under $2,200 a year while some of you guys seem like it’s half that. I’m in Souther California, 34 yr, no at faults. Tried AAA ($4k!!), geico/progressive/mercury all around $2.2-2.6k.

2015 85D

Does insurance rate vary wildly from state to state? I’m getting quoted nothing under $2,200 a year while some of you guys seem like it’s half that. I’m in Souther California, 34 yr, no at faults. Tried AAA ($4k!!), geico/progressive/mercury all around $2.2-2.6k.

2015 85D
Wells sure, it depends on location. You probably know that there are so many factors that go into the equation for figuring out your insurance cost that it will make your head spin. Likely, factors other than your location are the biggest variables. Can't compare people to people.

I’m in Souther California, 34 yr, no at faults. Tried AAA ($4k!!), geico/progressive/mercury all around $2.2-2.6k.

2015 85D
Oh and to add that you only mention a few of the variables. You might know it also depends on other things like mileage per year, type of car, cost of car, deductible you chose, purpose of car (leisure, drive to work), number of other drivers, tickets, bundling with other insurance, payment limits you chose, and other things I can't even think of right now. I'd just ignore what other people say as to what they pay. I doubt your situation is even remotely close to others.

Oh and to add that you only mention a few of the variables. You might know it also depends on other things like mileage per year, type of car, cost of car, deductible you chose, purpose of car (leisure, drive to work), number of other drivers, tickets, bundling with other insurance, payment limits you chose, and other things I can't even think of right now. I'd just ignore what other people say as to what they pay. I doubt your situation is even remotely close to others.

Yeah, makes sense, just seems like the difference is startling. I use it for commute, about 10k miles a year.

USAA $494 6 MONTHS. Caveat, I’ve been with the company close to 40 years.

Might be unicorn rate with them - congrats. (While comparing 2 different people's rates is a little pointless, my Progressive rate is still cheaper than that.)

As I noted above, USAA was going to jack my rate. I switched to Progressive (as others noted good success), dropped my Comp deductible to $100 and bumped up from 250/500 to full 500k. Progressive dropped my wife's Mercedes by 48% and my Tesla by 51%. (I'm paying 12% less for both cars than USAA wanted for just the Tesla.) I also managed to drop my homeowners by 20% while I was at it.

I called USAA to see if they'd match and they conceded they couldn't even come close. It's baffling.

• Informative
Reactions: Gt1948