Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the best way to use a Model X as a PA system?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As you may know, a week of Global Climate Strikes will be taking place September 20th to 27th. Thousands of rallies and protests will take place, each with speakers trying to address large crowds.

PA systems generally require large batteries or generators. It now occurs to me, though, that Teslas have huge batteries. I'm wondering a few things:

i) Could one open up the doors of a Model X and use its own stereo system as a PA System?

ii) Could one power a portable PA system using the batteries from the Model X?

iii) Could one combine both of the above ideas to create a mega PA system?

Any ideas? It would be great to see Teslas front and center being used to power PA systems during the upcoming climate strikes.

• Disagree
Reactions: glide
i) Could one open up the doors of a Model X and use its own stereo system as a PA System?

Might not be loud enough. Also, speakers in Falcon Wings point downward.

ii) Could one power a portable PA system using the batteries from the Model X?

Yes: As long as you can use the cigarette lighter outlet or OBDII port.

...iii) Could one combine both of the above ideas to create a mega PA system?...

Could but someone needs to try it out first!

Last edited:
Get a portable PA system. Get a small 600 to 1000 watt sine wave inverter. Connect it directly to the vehicles 12 volt battery. Leave vehicle on so the 12 volt battery is being charged thru the DC converter from the traction battery. Plug the PA systym into the inverter. Sing.

• Love
Reactions: ArtLightstone
Here's my question now...

If I plug a 500w power inverter into the 12v power outlet in the X, and then plug my PA into the inverter, would that draw power just from the little 12v battery, or would it draw power from my big 75 kW battery?

I'm hoping to plug some big speakers into the inverter, so I'm really only interested in accessing power from the main pack. (I don't want to pooch my little 12v battery.)

Any thoughts?

• Helpful
Reactions: thimel
Easiest solution is to procure a couple of 12 volt auto batteries and put them in the hatch and wire up an inverter. Use a couple of powered PA speakers, I have 12" EV powered speakers. Wire a mic and daisy chain with an xlr cord. Oh for better dispersion use two speakers stands and make sure the speakers are above 6ft so everyone can hear. Should be good enough for several hours of runtime. Oh and turn the bass down on the speaker. Nothing more annoying than mic pop or boosted lows for vocals

• Love
Okay... I just did an experiment, and I don't need an inverter.

The sound system in the Model X is powerful enough that it works as a PA on its own. I took the X to a big, empty parking lot, I opened up all the doors, turned the volume all the way up, downloaded a Bluetooth microphone app onto my iPhone, and then I successfully broadcast to the Model X from quite a distance away. The sound was quite loud, and pretty clear.

However, the phone mic picked up lots of wind noise, and it also echoed back the signal that was broadcast out from the car speakers. (Besides... nobody wants to speak into a phone when addressing a crowd.)

So... now I need to find a good, tight-pattern cardioid bluetooth microphone that could broadcast directly to the car. Hopefully, that would get rid of the wind noise and the echo, and perhaps even improve the sound. I wonder if such a mic is available.

I'm also thinking of ways that I could fashion a light, plastic horn attachment that could hang from the falcon wind door speakers, so that the sound could be directed outward (instead of downward).

Imagine, for a moment, attaching something like this to the speaker, with the top side removed (allowing sound to come down, but then be redirected outward).
s-l300.jpg

I'm sure that kind of idea would redirect the sound to a degree.

Last edited:
Put a small piece of foam over the iPhone mic to take care of wind noise.

Unfortunately that will do little for feedback. Perhaps another Bluetooth microphone app handles that problem better?

When I was a teen I used a powerful DC/AC inverter and a household amplifier with 4 tower speakers in the trunk of an SUV to experiment/play around. The 12V sockets can take a lot! I can’t imagine a PA system you would be wanting to use would require anything as much as an old household amplifier. (Could be wrong)

Best of luck with experiments!

The 12V sockets can take a lot!
No they can't. I believe they are fused at 15 amps and are thus capable of 180W max.

Hooking an inverter to the 12V battery isn't a brilliant idea either as it is a relatively small battery designed to run windshield wipers, computers, lights (all LED), etc. Hanging a large load on it will discharge it fast. If the car is ON the DC/DC converter will be presented with a load larger than it is designed to handle.

My advice to OP would be to stay home and not make a fool of himself.

• Disagree
Reactions: DoctorVenkman