Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's the fix for the Panoramic roof leak

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There must be a water barrier that has lifted or sagged allowing spill over into the cabin.

Maybe on a dry day, on level ground open the pano and begin pouring water carefully from a plant watering jug into the slits where the arms travel back over the rear glass... and see if you can fill 'er up enough cause the breach point.

Don't get me started...I've been to the SC four times in less than 2 years for a leaky roof. The first two times they claimed it was just the drains being clogged and when they cleaned and tested them they had no issues, but it still happened again. The third time they adjusted the pano closure setting so it was 'tighter' when completely shut. This seemed to help a bit, but also the seal didn't seem to look the same when closed.

Finally after noticing a tear in the pano seal on one side (likely from one of the arms rubbing too tight) and showing it to a mobile ranger, he said to make another appointment and they should replace the whole seal...which they did about 2 weeks ago. They had to remove both glass panels, so hopefully with it being reset it should be good now.

We just had a torrential rain storm yesterday afternoon here, and I didn't notice any signs of water...
(Physically knocks on wood)

I havent looked, but you might see if there are any YouTube videos about cleaning the drains and start there.

Wife's Model S 90D Pano (2017, so second gen roof?) also leaked water when facing downhill in heavy rain. Water would collect, and then splash down on to the driver when accelerating on level ground--that'll get your attention!

Two service center visits later, they finally replaced a seal somewhere; haven't tested it since, but will when the rains return. But there's still some wind whistle a high speeds too.

Truly pathetic that Tesla couldn't find a competent supplier that could build a non-leaking, "non-service and warranty nightmare" Pano Roof. Surely there must be SOMEONE making one that's competent, somewhere?

While I hate these things--they never work right, or if they do, it's only for the first few years--it's sort of a "must have" for my favorite spouse . . . .

Don't get me started...I've been to the SC four times in less than 2 years for a leaky roof. The first two times they claimed it was just the drains being clogged and when they cleaned and tested them they had no issues, but it still happened again. The third time they adjusted the pano closure setting so it was 'tighter' when completely shut. This seemed to help a bit, but also the seal didn't seem to look the same when closed.

Finally after noticing a tear in the pano seal on one side (likely from one of the arms rubbing too tight) and showing it to a mobile ranger, he said to make another appointment and they should replace the whole seal...which they did about 2 weeks ago. They had to remove both glass panels, so hopefully with it being reset it should be good now.

We just had a torrential rain storm yesterday afternoon here, and I didn't notice any signs of water...
(Physically knocks on wood)

I havent looked, but you might see if there are any YouTube videos about cleaning the drains and start there.
Keep checking for leaks especially if you are still under warranty. I brought my CPO 2014 S85 in to Service Center several times for 1st gen pano roof leak issues while under warranty. Once there was significant water in my trunk mat, other times small fluid stains showing in my tan roof liner around lights, etc. Each time I was told that the gutters needed to be blown out and sent on my way. More stains appeared recently just beyond warranty expiration at approximately 67K miles. Again they claimed that the drains needed to be cleared, but I insisted that they had just preformed that fix several months previously and should do a complete leak test. Well, they admitted to misdiagnosing a problem with the pano roof and have agreed to fix free of charge. My car is still in service where it has been for three weeks waiting for ever more parts. I think it's practically a complete roof rebuild. I am very grateful for the repair (if it ever gets completed), but worry that there may be mold, or worse yet, water infiltration of my battery pack. I wish I had been more insistent three years ago when I first got suspicious of a leak.

Reactions: elee888