Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

What's your P85D power after X miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It’s hard to say, a cold pack can have varying effects depending on the actual temperature. I’d warm the battery up and check, that seems low. You should be ~415 or ~450 with Ludicrous.

i will check. thanks

no L

just takes forever to heat up ~45mins if i set max power on. do i still have to be in the car once i set it?

im guessing i should be at 90%+ SOC to test?

i will check. thanks

no L

just takes forever to heat up ~45mins if i set max power on. do i still have to be in the car once i set it?

im guessing i should be at 90%+ SOC to test?

Yeah 90% is ideal, 85% should get you in the ballpark though. I don’t know what the window is like, but I can start the max battery power heating 1hr or so before I leave and it is ready when I am. I’m sure it won’t hold this for 12 hours, but any reasonable time you should be able to set it and go when it is ready.

Also pardon my ignorance! Are you taking a reading when you are trying to go 0-60 as fast as possible?

Also, I am assuming a reduction in total output is normal as you add miles...I am close to 40k miles and feel like I am not getting the same acceleration off the line.

For me:

P85D + L at 77K miles 443KW @ 90% max battery ready.

This is down from 458KW at 18K miles.

Down 20 hp since L upgrade.

Down 10 miles in range since new.

P85DL at 45k miles 444kw @ ~90% MBR

This is down from 451kw shortly after the L upgrade -- and when the 1/4 mile was 11.3 and 1/8 mile was 7.1. Haven't been to strip again since then though to see if anything changed.

upload_2019-2-1_18-26-34.png

upload_2019-2-1_18-28-38.png

Last edited:
449kW peak here. Drops quite rapidly.
View attachment 402833

What's the x axis? Time in seconds? If so, that is a VERY fast drop. Your current is going from 1500 amps down to about 1100 amps in no time. But your voltage drop at 1500 amps is normal so it could only be software that is pulling back on the power if you still have traction or a defective inverter that can't pull the power anymore.

Also, what was your speed at the start and end of WOT?

What's the x axis? Time in seconds?

Kinda embarrassing for a physicist not to label his axes =). It's milliseconds, and note 10^5 multiplier. Unfortunately I had only battery logging on for this, but it is a 0-200 kph pull.

I suppose it's okay. I was also first fooled by flat power curves of other people, but then realized that they are likely 0-100 graphs.

@bhzmark Ludicrous+ should now be labeled Ludicrous- as my P85DL is slower than ever with the latest software. While you haven't been at the drags for years I continue to race (remember my 11.2). My 1/8 time is now at least 0.2 seconds slower and over 1 mph slower. The Ludicrous+ does nothing (does not show how long for the battery to warm up). On the plus side, I ordered a new P100DL and I am curious if the new front motor will help or hinder the et.

@bhzmark Ludicrous+ should now be labeled Ludicrous- as my P85DL is slower than ever with the latest software. While you haven't been at the drags for years I continue to race (remember my 11.2). My 1/8 time is now at least 0.2 seconds slower and over 1 mph slower. The Ludicrous+ does nothing (does not show how long for the battery to warm up). On the plus side, I ordered a new P100DL and I am curious if the new front motor will help or hinder the et.

If you've been using the battery heater every time you drag, you should expect to make less and less power over time as that will degrade the battery much faster than not using it.

If you've been using the battery heater every time you drag, you should expect to make less and less power over time as that will degrade the battery much faster than not using it.
It is my understanding that maximum battery optimizes the battery temperature for maximum power. If it is too hot it will cool the battery instead. I use it only at the dragstrip and the power goes down only because the battery is at a lower percentage after each run.

It is my understanding that maximum battery optimizes the battery temperature for maximum power. If it is too hot it will cool the battery instead. I use it only at the dragstrip and the power goes down only because the battery is at a lower percentage after each run.

That's true, but it ages the batter faster. Heat kills Lithium Ion batteries. It's the #1 cause of degradation.

Reactions: bhzmark
Makes sense that your 1/8 mile time might be .2 seconds slower from years ago. You have no basis to conclude it is the recent software update though. I have basis to conclude that the recent software makes no difference. Literally identical 1/8 mile times and the the time post update was at 85 SOC and somewhat cold battery.

Under ideal circumstances: 95+ SOC, hot battery (just below temp that triggers cooling, a hot day helps), zero cargo in car, all accessories off, suspension to low) I got a 11.31 1/4 mile. The 1/8 mile time on that ideal run at the track was 7.15. Time slip is on dragtimes.

I can’t safely legally get a good 1/4 mile run outside of the track so I do 1/8 mile runs. I have done numerous non-ideal runs with Dragy before and after the update. By non-ideal I mean the SOC may only be in the 80s or low 90s; I have power cords and crap in my trunk that I usually carry around. I left the lights and AC on, didn’t lower the suspension etc.

Back in 2018 August I have a [email protected] 1/8 mile run with 1.72 60 foot. I didn’t note the conditions in comments because I was just fooling around with Dragy. IT’s the 7th fastest 1/8 mile time for all History under Tesla on Dragy.

Just below that at 8th fastest 1/8 time is a May 3 2019 run post update at [email protected] with 1.68 60 foot. There I noted that the battery was 85 SOC and cold — ambient temp was 61F. (Dragy now records that which is cool). I also had some extra crap in car it generally wasn’t in ideal conditions. Teslafi.com tells me I got 2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29 on 04/30/2019 6:18 AM.

Both verified times are on Dragy if you want to look.

What are your pre update and post update times, under similar conditions on Dragy? Or time slips on dragtimes?

I feel like if I got under ideal conditions again, especially on a hot day, I could replicate the 11.31 and 7.15 times at the track or at least come pretty close accounting for some degradation. But I definitely don’t feel like there is any software power limitation. The only limitation is that the battery heater switch isn’t available, so you have to heat the battery some other way.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka