Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel alignment / tire wear

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
See how deep the tread is on the outside/middle of the tire and the wear on the inside - both rear tires were the same way and the fronts no wear.

Attachments

• IMG_4462.jpg
    IMG_4462.jpg
    593.5 KB · Views: 79
Here are 3 of my most current measurements from alignments in order from Jan 23, May 23, and a check to make sure the hardware is holding the configuration in June 23. I would safely say that I go through more tires than anyone else on the forum with a plaid - on my 4th set since September 2022. Using both a 19" setup and multiple 21" setups.

Take your car to a race shop to do the alignment, stop going to Tesla for it. Consider something in the realm of these settings for your alignment.

***EDIT*** my rear toe is now a little different than some people like. but, i'm running the unplugged camber and toe arms with the stiff bushings that don't flex. So under load, my toe doesn't change/so little it's irrelevant. The OEM toe arm bushings are like mushy soup, and when you launch the car or go under heavy load, with a camera, you can see the front of the tire rotate outward into more toe out, and in that case, you would want more toe in to compensate for the hard launches/load.

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 10.45.27 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 10.44.30 AM.png

Screenshot 2023-07-26 at 10.55.28 AM.png

Last edited:
Like many others, I had extreme wear on the inside of the rear tires. Even though I checked them regularly, I didn't see it as it was right on the edge, then I had them rotated and therefore ruined 4 tires with tons of rubber left.

Once I finally notice it, I brought it to Tesla for a 4 wheel alignment. I've attached an image of the alignment (they couldn't provide an electronic copy.) Would someone please comment if it all looks good? Don't want to ruin more tires.

I bought 2 tires for the rear, Goodyear OEM, since they were making so much noise, but I'm a little uncomfortable regarding how the tire shop changed the tires. They drove the car on a lift and used a built into the lift, a component that raises out of the lift and raised the car via the rear control arms. Is this just another approved method to remove tires?

Thank you.
Unfortunately Teslas don’t come with any rear camber adjustment 😬 I recommend you buy a rear wheel camber kit about ($150 Amazon) installation $125 then, you can have a true alignment. 👍🏻

MYP Teslas come with staggered fit tires; Can’t rotate them.
Rears are 275/35/21 and wear out on the inside; Can’t fix the problem with an alignment, no camber 😬 Be lucky if you get 25K miles out of them; Aprox. price $450 each, depending on the brand.
With the adjustable camber kit; One can get an extra 10-15 K miles; They wear out evenly. I’ve done mine 👍🏻
Was it done intentionally? 🤔🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: Sam1
I do not believe it is the responsibility of any consumer to need to purchase aftermarket equipment for mass produced cars in order for it to work correctly. That is the responsibility of the manufacturer.

You can be angry about it the entire time you own your car, and complain for years. You'll burn through multiple sets of tires which cost more than the solution, and receive no restitution for it.

Not a single person here is going to disagree that Tesla should have adjustable arms from the factory. We just understand the energy, resources and effort required to change that is exponentially more than if you just install one of the fixes yourself.

You can be angry about it the entire time you own your car, and complain for years. You'll burn through multiple sets of tires which cost more than the solution, and receive no restitution for it.

Not a single person here is going to disagree that Tesla should have adjustable arms from the factory. We just understand the energy, resources and effort required to change that is exponentially more than if you just install one of the fixes yourself.
I’m not angry at all 😃 I fix it, I’m happy and enjoying the Car & life of the tires👍🏻
All good 👍🏻 chill.

What you just said doesn't jive at all with the OP: "Like many others, I had extreme wear on the inside of the rear tires."
I need to make a correction. The tires were rotated a number of times so even though I first noticed it in the rear, I then noticed it in the front as well so I may be mistaken and not know exactly whether the front or rear caused the problem. Extremely sorry for my confusion.

I am also dealing with the same issue. $3000 in tires with 24,000 miles on a 2.5 year old car. That works out to greater than $100 in tire wear for 1000 miles I drive. That is not acceptable at all. Turned out my very late 2020 Tesla S Performance car, the rear bolts had fallen out of the control arms and toe controllers. $2800 in damages that Tesla didn't want to warranty. Absolutely it is a factory defect. Absolutely, Tesla needs to be held accountable for tire wear. They know about it.

I am also dealing with the same issue. $3000 in tires with 24,000 miles on a 2.5 year old car. That works out to greater than $100 in tire wear for 1000 miles I drive. That is not acceptable at all. Turned out my very late 2020 Tesla S Performance car, the rear bolts had fallen out of the control arms and toe controllers. $2800 in damages that Tesla didn't want to warranty. Absolutely it is a factory defect. Absolutely, Tesla needs to be held accountable for tire wear. They know about it.

That sucks.