Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Bolts Replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JohnGarziglia

Supporting Member
Oct 22, 2011
Reston, Virginia
The outside shell of the coded anti-theft socket for my anti-theft wheel bolts split apart. One of my coded anti-theft wheel bolts became almost impossible to remove.

IMG_20200411_173032.jpg

Therefore I decided to replace all of the wheel bolts. Looking through the posts I found some dimension information for replacement wheel bolts but I thought it might be useful for those that do not want to parse through listings of hundreds of wheel bolts (and there are hundreds to post the information I received from Otis, Inc LA which specializes in wheel lug nuts and bolts

Sent: Wednesday, March 18, 2020 4:36 PM
Subject: Re: Tesla Roadster Wheel Bolts

We have both the "tuner style" like you have or regular bolts. All of these are made by the people that made the original bolts on the car. Links are below and all are in stock. I hope this helps.

https://otisincla.com/product/12mmx1-5-26mm-shank-cone-seat-23mm-diameter-51-5mm-total-length-zinc-plated/

https://otisincla.com/?s=b-b12&post_type=product&type_aws=true

Phil

YfF0glWeclKTTaNxwDjYb4WB7pGI8DLIjz6ToAmNKcW-allQxviQyq2-SkkPIERWSot_cYXpobUOv5Cxh2J3oyvEuQkNstYLSRfl9Da86tdAUMJP7ecjc9yI9irG8HDKorOJ-fTaBNgIwSDbmDK1cyI2VcoqCV7Vtgd0FdjBBSfvoo1wlOb3LkqRLe0sMTqYnzCWJ8wIO5c=s0-d-e1-ft

Fine European and U.S. made lug bolts, lug nuts & wheel accessories. NO CHINESE PARTS!

JcCgj8JRYeylYfPr3x_Rl486OrLsc6lBvhqZJuMyRtSPww7oYw6d9F91O-8YIUecyP3H1JbqtZo_DSncuVv3WWNseOTP5JnKpWKHVmh0PKhsVZgwL9nNK-88fQcT1ZVjloSfSQmnQa6QVFxxhTUt-gU_Op5Ev5o-xu-GEVLuMOFacz_jP_64HIYpGD9O9cD2SastOz8PRZ4UBRrf0g=s0-d-e1-ft

Farad Italian made Fasteners and Wheel Locks NOW IN STOCK!!! Dealer inquiries welcome!!! Call or email for details!!!

I ordered the black ones with regular hex heads rather than the "tuner" style which was the Tesla OEM, and put them on today. I figured that the socket adapter for the "tuner" style was just one more thing I could lose or have break, and realized that the only time anyone really looks at wheel bolts is when one is pondering which kind to order. Disaster is likely avoided as I doubt the coded anti-theft socket adapter would have removed the coded anti-theft bolt again.

I'm guessing the breaking was a result of the dry plated threaded surfaces fusing together rather than a mechanic applying too much torque while installing. I found this to be rather unique to the Roadster and solved it by applying a *very* minimal coating of copper-based anti-seize to a strip along the threads (not the entire threads). Carefully remove any excess. The anti-seize will distribute itself as needed. Never any issues as a result. Repeated with purchase of longer bolts for the Momo rims which bolts had the same problematic plating.
--