Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel fitment question, BMW M3 wheels on Plaid possible?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Have a set of HRE wheels off a 2015 BMW M3 that I want to put on my Plaid.

Wheel specs are:
20x9" et32 & 20x10 et40
I'm pretty sure both bolt patterns are:
5x120

Based on my research I may need to get hub rings that are 64.1 to 72.6.

Rear wheel will RETRACT by 1mm so I doubt it will be noticeable.

Front wheel will EXTEND an extra 2mm and also doubt that will be noticeable.

Only thing I'm kind of concerned about is the lost .5' in the wheel widths but think I can still run 255/40 and 285/35 tires so will it still be any issue?

Reactions: Drew-MS and Zishan
Have a set of HRE wheels off a 2015 BMW M3 that I want to put on my Plaid.
Wheel specs are: 20x9" et32 & 20x10 et40
I'm pretty sure both bolt patterns are: 5x120

Based on my research I may need to get hub rings that are 64.1 to 72.6. Rear wheel will RETRACT by 1mm so I doubt it will be noticeable.
Front wheel will EXTEND an extra 2mm and also doubt that will be noticeable.
Only thing I'm kind of concerned about is the lost .5' in the wheel widths but think I can still run 255/40 and 285/35 tires so will it still be any issue?
You should be fine with the BMW wheels. I run a set of lightweight forged BMW M6 wheels for track days with the stock tire sizes... no problems.

1635710004634.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: Drew-MS
I'm running an aftermarket winter wheel that is designed for BMWs. As long as you have correct offsets and the hubcentric ring, they are fine. I have a 2021 refresh and had to get custom machined hubrings without a chamfer as the hubs on the car only stick out about 5mm and a ring with a chamfer has nothing to rest upon. More difficult was sourcing a tesla emblem for the center caps (again, I had to go custom).

I'm running an aftermarket winter wheel that is designed for BMWs. As long as you have correct offsets and the hubcentric ring, they are fine. I have a 2021 refresh and had to get custom machined hubrings without a chamfer as the hubs on the car only stick out about 5mm and a ring with a chamfer has nothing to rest upon. More difficult was sourcing a tesla emblem for the center caps (again, I had to go custom).
Did you use Motorsport-tech for the hubrings ? That company seems to be popular with TMC members.

Did you use Motorsport-tech for the hubrings ? That company seems to be popular with TMC members.
hub rings and hub centric spacers are two diff things. If you just need the hub rings to adapt the diameter of the hub to the wheel you don't need anything fancy. If you need a spacer with specific hub centric sizing then motorsport-tech would be recommended.

hub rings and hub centric spacers are two diff things. If you just need the hub rings to adapt the diameter of the hub to the wheel you don't need anything fancy. If you need a spacer with specific hub centric sizing then motorsport-tech would be recommended.
Of course, hub rings are different since the hub-centric spacers move the wheel flush with the outer fender for improved handling and stance.
FYI, these are custom spacers designed by Motorsport-tech for mounting BMW wheels on a Tesla. Hope this helps - PM me if you are interested.

Am I able to use 10mm spacers like these on my plaid without extending the lugs ? Or would I have to extend my lugs by 10mm ?

Front studs measure at around 25mm. Minus the standard aftermarket wheel seat taper to hub is about 7mm, 10mm spacer will be left you with only 8mm of effective stud length for the lug nut to engage. Put in another perspective, the lug nut probably only be able to do full 2-3 turns.

Better to get extended studs or wheel build with correct offset.

Last edited: