Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wheel Fitment

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys and gals

New member and new owner of a P3D. I’ve been searching the forums for wheel fitment. I’m trying to find an inexpensive set of 18s to install for the winter months. Is there a guide of what wheels will it will not fit the performance model 3?

Hey guys and gals

New member and new owner of a P3D. I’ve been searching the forums for wheel fitment. I’m trying to find an inexpensive set of 18s to install for the winter months. Is there a guide of what wheels will it will not fit the performance model 3?

I went through the same exercise recently.
Tesla 18" Aero wheels wont fit, as they don't clear rear TM3P brake calipers.
Many aftermarket 18" rims fit, though there are relatively few that come with OEM Tesla hub bore of 64.1mm.

I ended up ordering a set of wheels + tires + TPMS sensors all mounted, balanced, and shipped for ~$1850 with these wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/Whe...19&autoModel=Model+3+Performance&autoModClar=

a

Many aftermarket 18" rims fit, though there are relatively few that come with OEM Tesla hub bore of 64.1mm.

I ended up ordering a set of wheels + tires + TPMS sensors all mounted, balanced, and shipped for ~$1850 with these wheels:
https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W19320001BMF&wheelMake=MSW&wheelModel=Type+30&wheelFinish=Machined+w/Black+Accent&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Model+3+Performance&autoModClar=

a
How do you know which wheels on tirerack have the correct hub bore of 64.1mm? Do you just put the vehicle info down and tirerack will give the right wheels?

How do you know which wheels on tirerack have the correct hub bore of 64.1mm? Do you just put the vehicle info down and tirerack will give the right wheels?

I called them and forced them to research each and every 18" wheel that they claim fits TM3P, and confirm the hub diameter. They do not publicly list hub bore of the wheels on the web site, but its available in their internal system.
I really dislike centering rings for many reasons (maintenance, wear, balancing problems), and avoid those on all my cars.

There are a few other aftermarket sources of Tesla hub-centric 18" wheels, but I book-marked them on my home computer, and I'm at work now.

HTH

It will be rare to find an exact match, but they provide adapter rings. For example, hardware included for a set of wheels from Tire Rack:
"1 Lug adapter , 4 19X9 5-114 ET40 FLOW ONE F3 , 20 Required lugnut for vehicle (nickel plated) , 4 Retaining clip for AL-P rings"

I called them and forced them to research each and every 18" wheel that they claim fits TM3P, and confirm the hub diameter. They do not publicly list hub bore of the wheels on the web site, but its available in their internal system.
I really dislike centering rings for many reasons (maintenance, wear, balancing problems), and avoid those on all my cars.

There are a few other aftermarket sources of Tesla hub-centric 18" wheels, but I book-marked them on my home computer, and I'm at work now.

HTH

lots of wheels don't match exact bore of cards, hub centric rings are very popular. I had 1 crack in 15 years. but 4 rings costs like 10 bucks, its only plastic. Its really only used to align the wheel when putting on the tire. how do rings mess things up? once the tire is bolted rings are a non factor. help me to understand

https://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runWheelSearch&initialPartNumber=W19320001BMF&wheelMake=MSW&wheelModel=Type+30&wheelFinish=Machined+w/Black+Accent&autoMake=Tesla&autoYear=2019&autoModel=Model+3+Performance&autoModClar=

a
What tires did you order?

Honestly we need a dedicated thread for aftermarket wheels especially for the P3D+. Mine got moved to winter driving and was buried. I got the following from discount tire - mounted, TPMS, balanced, and shipped for just under $1100 (plus a $45 discount on a tire price match with WalMart). Granted they are 20” wheels which isn’t preferred for the winter, but just wanted an All Season tire for the cold rather than needing an aggressive snow tire. Deep snow is why I have a Jeep CJ-7.
A450B9D7-1F61-4CD7-8903-91D27E9FB881.jpeg

Honestly we need a dedicated thread for aftermarket wheels especially for the P3D+. Mine got moved to winter driving and was buried. I got the following from discount tire - mounted, TPSM, balanced, and shipped for about $1100 (plus a $45 discount on a tire price match with WalMart). Granted they are 20” wheels which isn’t preferred for the winter, but just wanted an All Season tire for the cold rather than needing an aggressive snow tire. Deep snow is why I have a Jeep CJ-7.
View attachment 469368
I checked out the Nankang also. I live in upstate SC and there isn’t much snow or ice (usually there’s 2 or 3 “winter events”) but I’d like something for winter season. How have the Nankang faired in winter weather?

What tires did you order?

235/45R18 Michelin X-Ice Xi3
My other option was Blizzak WS90.

lots of wheels don't match exact bore of cards, hub centric rings are very popular.

Yes.
Non-vehicle specific wheels are commonly manufactured with stupid wide bores, with an expectation that they will be adopted down to various car hubs, as needed.

I had 1 crack in 15 years. but 4 rings costs like 10 bucks, its only plastic. Its really only used to align the wheel when putting on the tire. how do rings mess things up? once the tire is bolted rings are a non factor. help me to understand

Problems with adopter rings, roughly in the order of PITA-ness:
  • Avoid plastic adopter rings at all costs - they don't seat properly, wear off, and fail after a few installation cycles.
  • Cheap steel/aluminum adopter rings may not seat perfectly on the hub, causing on-road balance issues.
  • Even perfectly made adopter rings are not 100% balanced. Then the only way to get the entire wheel+ring+tire to properly road-force balance, is to permanently tac-weld them the wheel, which itself is a PITA, and adds to balancing challenges.
    • Otherwise, when you install the wheels and rings rotate, they partially negate the balancing efforts.
I once had a set of track wheels. They were PITA to install (rings dislodge at the worst possible time), and they could never get properly balanced.
Never again.

I got the following from discount tire - mounted, TPMS, balanced, and shipped for just under $1100 (plus a $45 discount on a tire price match with WalMart). Granted they are 20” wheels which isn’t preferred for the winter, but just wanted an All Season tire for the cold rather than needing an aggressive snow tire.

First of all, all-season is NOT a snow tire.
Second of all, what in the world is Nankang @#$^?

The single most import thing about a winter tire set is the rubber that connects you to the road.
The worst thing to economize on is a quality tire. Cheapo A/S tires defeat the purpose of getting a dedicated set of winter wheels!
giphy.gif

Last edited:
I checked out the Nankang also. I live in upstate SC and there isn’t much snow or ice (usually there’s 2 or 3 “winter events”) but I’d like something for winter season. How have the Nankang faired in winter weather?
Honestly the coldest day we have had so far was 44º F so nothing there. My driving efficiency has dropped from 87% to 80% on stats, but that could be because of the drop in temp.

- at $300 for the set they will not crack and explode in the cold and cost almost the same price as one OEM Michelin. I assume if they are really bad after a while, I will book a track day and finish them off.

First of all, all-season is NOT a snow tire.
Second of all, what in the world is Nankang @#$^?

The single most import thing about a winter tire set is the rubber that connects you to the road.
The worst thing to economize on is a quality tire. Cheapo A/S tires defeat the purpose of getting a dedicated set of winter wheels!
[/QUOTE]

I live in Virginia not New York but I am from Pennsylvania so I get the desire for winter tires. The way i see it, unless you are above I80 they optional, I also have a Jeep CJ-7 with BFG AT's and a Volvo XC-70 so i will never be stranded at my house.

The way I see it, the Tesla is so low and flat on the bottom, you will pack the deep snow under it before you ever get stuck and for the moderate amount of snow, just take your time.

Clearly the OEM Michelin 20" tires are not even an option below 40ºF.